Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 or Phenom 9850 x4? which one should I go for?

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2008 10:11:40 PM

I am probably buying a new desktop in the next days, but not sure what I should get, between those 2 cpus, which one should I go for? I will use pc for games, video edition (videos I record with my Sony HandyCam), AutoCad, SolidWorks, internet, chatting...

also will the new Phenom (the one that isgoing to be release next January) work with ddr3? any idea how much is it gonna cost?

I can't go with i7

I also would like you guys to help me choosing mobo and vga

ty

More about : q6600 phenom 9850

a b à CPUs
December 28, 2008 11:44:53 PM

The Intel 2.4 Ghz Q6600 is slightly more powerful at stock speeds by a few percent.However it can be overclocked much higher by up to 50% on aftermarket air cooling.Many people can overclock it on air to around 3.6 Ghz.The Phenom X4 9850 can't be overclocked anywhere near the performance of the Q6600 perhaps to 2.8 Ghz with a 600 Southbridge chip on a 790FX board or maybe 3.2 Ghz on a 790GX or 790 FX board with the 750 Southbridge chip.However at stock speeds one wouldn't notice much of a difference between the two.The 9850 BE is also less expensive right now than the Q6600 (at least it is on newegg.com).It's really your choice but if you want the more powerful CPU that would be the Q6600.
If you don't intend to overclock either one is fine.
December 29, 2008 12:35:24 AM

I went with the 9850be and I water cooled it, i am at 3.2 ghz and stable. I like this processor, however either one would be ok for what you want to do... I would go with the Asus 79-T motherboard with the 750 southbridge.
4870's are nice,... good luck with your build
Related resources
December 29, 2008 1:51:13 AM

I would wait for deneb personally.
December 29, 2008 2:15:57 AM

masvv said:
I am probably buying a new desktop in the next days, but not sure what I should get, between those 2 cpus, which one should I go for? I will use pc for games, video edition (videos I record with my Sony HandyCam), AutoCad, SolidWorks, internet, chatting...

also will the new Phenom (the one that isgoing to be release next January) work with ddr3? any idea how much is it gonna cost?

I can't go with i7

ty

If you are not going to OC the system then either chip will be fine. If you OC then the Q6600 is much better.

The phenom II is going to support DDR2 and then later on DDR3 but that will require a different cpu slot. Not sure how much the new phenom II is going to cost. A good average GPU is a 4850 or a 4870.

MB for the phenom I like gigabyte boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the intell cpu here is a good review of MB on Toms.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-p45-core,2110...
December 29, 2008 3:22:55 AM

jj463rd
I am probably ocing with air cooler, so I guess I am going with Q6600

medjohnson77
not doing water cooling ~~
I am probably going with 4850 or ge-force 9800gt, which one is better for my situation?

do you guys have links to tests/reviews of these cpus?
December 29, 2008 4:00:17 AM

masvv,

I didn't think you would want to go water, it can be a decent added cost to your build. 4850 is decent, around $140-$150 on the egg but for an extra 40 bucks if you have it you will be happier with the 4870. They are getting cheaper every day. I had a 4850 and it seem like it was just under par with my BFG 8800gts 512mb (g92) card if that helps. It was when they first came out and drivers were new. So it may be better now, I know the 4870 is nice!
January 2, 2009 12:28:38 PM

masvv said:

I can't go with i7

ty

masvv

how much are you looking to spend? plus, are you going to buy pre-built or build yourself?

btw...these guys are right from all the reviews i've seen. the Q6600 is way overclockable, esp with water cooling. however, the AMD is more cost effective and saves you on getting water cooling (unless you have to have over 3.0ghz.

if you're on a tight budget, i'd say go with the AMD 9850BE, and a ZeroTherm Nirvana or an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro HSF.

one warning: if you're building it, make sure the HSF fits in ur case. i have had to remove the side duct from 2 cases and put an 80mm fan in its place blowing down on the cpu so that the HSF would fit in. do your research if you're building. it pays off in the end.

oh, and don't be scared to get a case that costs $20-30 more than a good base one (say $40-60), cause if it has more fans/airflow it pays off keeping your cpu and gpu temps down.

trust me. my 9850 build is probably suffering cause i went with a cheap $40 case. bad bad me :lol: 

good luck with ur build :D 
!