WXP does not automatically turn off the computer

Hi
When I shutdown the system, windows (xp) does not automatically turn off the
computer. It starts to but instead turns the monitor back on with the message
that "it is safe to turn off the computer". I have just completed a "clean
reinstallation" which went great but I have been into a lot of things (like
new drivers and such) and may have reset something. It did turn off the
computer in the first days but the last couple of days it has changed. I do
have a UPS setup but it has its own software package and seems to be working
fine. Also, I'm using the "welcome screen" turn off the computer setup but
have been right along and as I stated earlier it turned off the computer.
Have any ideas? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about automatically turn computer

    Try a Google search for "Windows power down". Chances are you will find
    what you need. Good luck.

    "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >When I shutdown the system, windows (xp) does not automatically turn off the
    >computer. It starts to but instead turns the monitor back on with the message
    >that "it is safe to turn off the computer". I have just completed a "clean
    >reinstallation" which went great but I have been into a lot of things (like
    >new drivers and such) and may have reset something. It did turn off the
    >computer in the first days but the last couple of days it has changed. I do
    >have a UPS setup but it has its own software package and seems to be working
    >fine. Also, I'm using the "welcome screen" turn off the computer setup but
    >have been right along and as I stated earlier it turned off the computer.
    >Have any ideas? Thanks.

    See MVP Jim Eshelman's Shutdown Troubleshooter for Windows XP at
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --