Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't start... sometimes

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2008 11:10:10 AM

Hey everyone! Not sure where to post this, this seemed the most logical spot. Recently my computer refuses to turn on for anywhere between 30 minutes to two hours after I hit the power button. At first, I hit the on button (many times), nothing happened, and I got that sinking heart feeling and left the computer alone for a while. When I returned 30 minutes later the computer randomly turned itself on, as if nothing was wrong, the only signs something was bad was the BIOS clock got stuck at a few hours before. I replaced the CMOS battery in case that was the problem but to no avail. The next morning, I flicked the power on, hit the button and nothing happened. This time, I removed the side of the case to see if any lights were on. Nothing at all. After about 30 minutes of looking for loose wires or hidden LED's the fans whirred into life and the machine started as per usual. It will start no problems if I leave the power switched on, but the actual computer turned off everything works fine, the problem only occurs when the power point to switched off.

Computer specs are:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Intel Q6600 (not overclocked)
2GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz RAM
Gigabyte 8800GT 512Mb
ThermalTake ToughPower 550W (second power supply).

If you need any more information just say.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Edit: This is a homebuilt machine

More about : computer start

October 5, 2008 11:34:32 AM

Check the power switch and where it plugs into the MB, also the power plug to the MB.
October 5, 2008 1:20:57 PM

Do you mean your pc has trouble powering on from a cold boot?
Related resources
October 5, 2008 8:41:36 PM

auscanzukus said:
Do you mean your pc has trouble powering on from a cold boot?

That's a much easier way of saying it
Haha sorry, I'm too familiar with the terminology >_>
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2008 9:00:49 PM

First thought is the power switch and then possibly the connection point on the mobo. I think you can jumper the switch to rule out or take the switch out of the equation. I'll need to see where you would do that.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2008 9:09:55 PM

If I'm reading your manual correctly, you can jumper pins 6 and 7 (PW+ and PW-) to see if your power switch is the culprit. These pins are just below the IDE connector, F_PANEL (Front Panel Header) is how it should be listed on your mobo. You will have to pull the connectors off to do this.
Here is where I'm getting my information from, page 27 to be exact.
October 5, 2008 11:54:39 PM

I just tried, no response at all for twenty minutes until it started fine. I ran a stress test with the nVidia control panel for CPU, video card and RAM for an hour and no problems were detected.

Again, the BIOS clock stopped at about 4am. I’m getting tempted to just get a warranty on it.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2008 1:17:03 AM

stuart1991 said:
I just tried, no response at all for twenty minutes until it started fine. I ran a stress test with the nVidia control panel for CPU, video card and RAM for an hour and no problems were detected.

Again, the BIOS clock stopped at about 4am. I’m getting tempted to just get a warranty on it.

What part did you try? I'm thinking if your BIOS clock isn't running properly that your mobo is messed up and not functioning correctly. You could pull out your parts from within the case and lay them onto a non-conductive surface (cardboard works fine) and hook up them back up. Then try starting your system and see how it performs. This will eliminate any possible shorts that you may have within your case.
October 6, 2008 6:48:09 AM

I just took everything off the motherboard, except the CPU, and put them all back (even the CMOS battery). I almost soiled myself when I booted it up again I was given "NTLDR Is Missing" slap in the face, but resetting the BIOS setting fixed that :sol: . Now all I have to do is wait to see if it does it again, sometimes it will start fine from a cold start, sometimes not :??: .

Thanks for all your help so far!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2008 8:41:54 PM

Did you try jumpering the pins that I suggested in your manual??? This will eliminate the possible power button that is on the case.
October 7, 2008 5:18:45 AM

I've tried jumpering pins 6 and 7 before, but that was just as effective as the switch. It started up fine this morning, but I still have my suspicions.
October 14, 2008 7:36:11 AM

Grr, happened again this morning

I hit the power switch and absolutely no signs of life. 30 minutes later it started as if nothing was wrong. I only need to hit the switch once, it's like a 30 minute lag between hitting the button and booting up.

Once again, the BIOS clock stopped about 3 hours after it was turned off. Should I just clam warranty on the motherboard? It's been about 8 months since I bought it, but it's still under warranty.
!