No display on Radeon 9550

dave_the_slag

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hoping someone can help here.

Recently managed to procure a Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB AGP card to try and slightly extend the graphics life of my old PC. After removing the existing card I installed the replacement only to find that there was absolutely no output from the card, even through BIOS loading. I've checked the card on a different machine and it works fine there. The machine is an old Time Athalon 2200+ XP which runs off an MSI MS-6340 motherboard. The card operates at AGP 4x which the motherboard definately supports and have tried updating the BIOS to the latest version but still have no luck.

Can anybody shead some light on this matter? I've been unable to find any evidence to suggest that the two components are incompatible so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
I had to do this once with an old A7N8X board and a 2500+Athlon...

I upgraded to a 6800gt from a 9600xt and the same thing happened. I had to boot into BIOS with the 9600xt and lock the AGP frequency at 66mhz, and set the AGP voltage to 1.5v (up from .8v auto setting I *think* it was...) Took me 1,538 years to figure that out, but it worked and never had problems since.

I'm also kinda wondering (no offense meant), but a 9550 to "extend the graphics life"??? Is that your normal rig or just something to fiddle with?

dave_the_slag

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Ah sorry poor chocie of wording. This is my old rig that I mess around with but still occassionally use with LAN gaming, the existing card is nearing death so when a free replacement was offered I said yes.

Checked all my BIOS options and the only AGP settings available are for the apature size and whether 4x is active so looks like it may be a bit of a lost cause.

Cheers anyway!