jhovahnissi

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Ok from the get go, if there is a class below NOOB that is me (when it comes to over clocking). However I have a build (see below) that I would love to OC but I cannot find any help or guides available. Plenty of help for I7 920's but nothing for I7 975. I am looking for someone to take a young apprentice under his wing an walk him through the basics of getting started.

CPU I7 975 Extreem
MOB Gigabyte EX58 Extreme
PS Kingwin Mach 1 (1000W)
RAM OCZ Platinum 1800 Mhz (3X2048)
CPU COOLER Ultra ChillTec Thermoelectric cooler
VIDEO GForce GTX 9800 (2 X SLI)
OPTICAL Liteon BD Burner
OS Windows 7 Ultimate

Solution
The 975 should be capable of going a bit higher than the 920 and 950. It won't go a ton higher, but there should be a definite advantage of a few hundred megahertz or so. They are based on the same die, but Intel does bin the parts, with the best ones becoming i7 EE and Xeon chips (and the worse ones becoming the cheaper 950 and 920 chips). Whether that's worth the cost is dependent on the individual - it isn't always worth it, but there are people for whom it is worth the money.

As for overclocking, it is primarily the same as overclocking an i7-920, with the exception that you could also change the multiplier to give you more options. All of the settings aside from the multiplier act the same, so you should be able to use a 920...
I second that^^^

To the OP, if you can return that CPU then go ahead, if not then im sorry to tell you that you got jacked!! The 975 was made to lure in the idiots, making them think that by slapping an EXTREME logo on it they are getting an UBER CPU... Anyways the 975 basically overclocks the same as the 920 and 950 with a few exeptions.

Start here :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide

if you have any questions Overshocked will be glad to help you out, ohh and make sure that Chilltec is working properly, you do not want to fry your 1k CPU!!!

The 975 should be capable of going a bit higher than the 920 and 950. It won't go a ton higher, but there should be a definite advantage of a few hundred megahertz or so. They are based on the same die, but Intel does bin the parts, with the best ones becoming i7 EE and Xeon chips (and the worse ones becoming the cheaper 950 and 920 chips). Whether that's worth the cost is dependent on the individual - it isn't always worth it, but there are people for whom it is worth the money.

As for overclocking, it is primarily the same as overclocking an i7-920, with the exception that you could also change the multiplier to give you more options. All of the settings aside from the multiplier act the same, so you should be able to use a 920 guide for the most part.

Solution

linaaslt

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I need to agree with zipzoomflyhigh, just noobs are buying that CPU to overclock with air cooler, cause you won't be able to OC it much more than 920 on air. if you would be using passive cooling or similar than you can achieve better results than 920 can.
Do as OvrClkr said, try to return it and get yourself 920.

TBH probably you have more than enough money so you even won't consider this option, but if you would do so, you could donate those 750$ for people in Haiti.

linaaslt: It should still OC higher on air than a 920. The difference won't be huge, but it should be more stable on less voltage because it's a higher binned chip. Intel's 45nm process is pretty mature, so all chips can reach quite good clocks, but there is still a difference (though not a large one to be sure).

jhovahnissi

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I never at anytime indicated that there was a cost factor involved. This system was assembled for a verry different reason, now OC has come up and we want to give it a try. The sytem did not cost me a dime to put together.

Those records are under LN2, and not all that representative.

As for would I pay it? Yes, in some cases. I did pay the extra for my 965, and I got 4.2GHz out of it on air. Very few C0 920s could pull that off (and D0 didn't come out until well after I put my system together). Am I happy with my 965? Heck yes.

Of course they were under LN2, but that makes it even worse cause you can get over 4.2Ghz with little effort using a D0 on Air. I know more than 10 peeps here on toms including Overshocked that run their 920's at over 4Ghz.

Your case is different, if I had the cash for such a CPU i would have not hesitated. My issue is specifically with the 975 and its price to performance ratio. I can also understand if the user got it for less cash or sponsored and will use the CPU stickly for LN2 bench records. But to pay 1k knowing that you can do the same for much less is just non-sense....

jhovahnissi

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Well I took the advice from those in the know (on this forum) and got a I7 920 overclock guide form gigabyte (exact motherboard that I am using). Not sure I fully understand what I did, but here is what I ended up with. I can get 4.4 GHz @ 51 c under 100% load (sp2004 X8) of over 2 hrs. Is there any little tweeks I can make to get it higher (Blue screen at 4.5 GHz before load testing started) or is this the best I can hope for under air?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=974878

Well 66c under LOAD is fine. Just make sure it does not go over 70c ...

Just to let you know, anything over 3.9/4Ghz is a waste unless you are benchmarking or trying to break a record. If you are not doing either my suggestion would be to lower the clocks a bit.