Need help attaching case to mobo

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Am trying to build an system with older parts.
Case = Antec SX1040Bii
Mobo = MSI K8N Neo4

The case comes with connectors for
Reset - blue and white wires
Power LED - (this is a 3-pin connector but only black & green wires)
Power Switch - green and white wires
Speaker - 4-pin connector but only orange and black wires
HDD LED - black and red wires
Aux LED 1 - black and red wires but I have no idea how to use this.
Aux LED 2 - black and red wires but I have no idea how to use this.

The connectors are are clearly labeled what they are for. Unfortunately, the connectors have no information on which wire in the connector goes to what pin on the mobo. The manual for the case is silent on which wires go to which pins and because the case is on the discontinued list, there is no additional information on the manufacturer web site. :(
The only thing in the manual is a note that the labels on the connectors should be facing the front of the case, but as you probably have already guessed this is a tower build and the orientation of the connectors is top and bottom not front and back. (And I have never built anything other than towers).

The mobo has great details in the manual.
Reset:
JFP1 - 5 = Reset low reference pull-down to GND
JFP1 - 7 = Reset high reference pull-up

Power LED - I am not 100% sure here:
JFP2 - 1 = GND
JFP2 - 3 = SLED (but there is no wire in the connector for this pin)
JFP2 - 5 = PLED
There are also 2 pins on JFP1 labeled Power LED; however, the wires from the case are in a 3-pin connector.
JFP1 - 2 = MSG LED pull-up
JFP1 - 4 = MSG LED pull-up

Power Switch:
JFP1 - 6 = Power switch high reference pull up
JFP1 - 8 = Power switch low reference pull down to ground

Speaker:
JFP2 - 2 = SPK-
JFP2 - 4 = BUZ+ (no wire)
JFP2 - 6 = BUZ- (no wire)
JFP2 - 8 = SPK+

HDD LED:
JFP1 - 1 = HArd Disk LED pull-up
JFP1 - 3 = Hard disk active LED

So, again the mobo has detailed instructions on what all the pins are for and the case has labeled connectors, but I have no idea of the polarity of the wires in the connectors.

Can you help me?

Unfortuately, the case user's manual does not specify

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
The labels should be facing so you could see them top up bottom down
im pretty sure it won't short anything.

instead of see them read them

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Reset - plug both wires in, any color any orientation won't matter. Just a momentary on switch.
Power led... My first guess would be gnd and pled, black should be gnd. Might have to play with this one. (wires CAN be removed from the connectors, usually just a wee metal tab holding the wires in) LED won't get hurt by messing up, btw.
Power sw, treat same as reset sw.
Speaker, first guess would be spkr - and spkr +, but could be buzz - and + as well. Again, won't hurt to play.
HDD LED, should be easy - just two wires, wrong and won't light up. JFP1 should be the darker of the pair, but may need a play.

LEDs can be checked for polarity with a AA battery (might need two in series to be bright enough to see).

Hope that the above helps a bit, just remember the tinker's rule: If it works, leave it alone. If it doesn't, fiddle with it 'til it does.

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Can definitely play around with the various combinations. I mostly just want to know that my worst-case scenario is just something not working and that there is no possible way for me to blow up my mobo (especially with the power wires). Thanks.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
In the instance of the case connectors, no danger to the MB at all as it supplies the power. Diodes are really just one way switches - right, they light, wrong they don't . Have a worry-free play