P5QL-PRO and OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 memory issues

G'day folks!

Anyone with this board got similar problems? I have a P5QL PRO, a Q6600 G0 and 4 GB of OCZ Reaper 1066mhz RAM (the one with the ridiculous heatsinks :p). With every bios setting on auto, nothing would function. I put the timings on 5-5-5-18 manually, set RAM voltage to 2.2V, CPU voltage to 1.275, fsb to 266. No stability whatsoever - would continually crash during installation of W7 and others. So i downclocked my memory to 800mhz, keeping the CPU on stock settings - It would work, although after about 15 minutes into crysis, it would crash again. I ran some stress tests that concluded that the RAM was indeed still my problem. A friend told me i had to have some kind of 1:1 ratio, so i put my multiplier to 6, fsb to 400, then i selected 801 mhz ram from a dropdown box (couldnt just type in 800, dont know why). This wasnt stable, so i upped the vcore to 1.35. Finally got my 1:1 ratio according to cpu-z and crysis would play all night long (untill i got bored) with stable cpu core temps of around 55 (so it aint heat issues).

But this was only stable to this morning, all the crap started again. Crashes in CSS :( Checked bios, all settings were still the same. It seems stable again now though, i have no idea what's going on. I was hoping to overclock to about 3.2ghz, but with this 1:1 crap and the memory instability i think i'm gonna have a whole load of trouble getting there. Also, 1.35v for stock speeds seems a bit much(?)

Anyone with any experience on this board, or any suggestions? Every bit is appreciated :)

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Run Memtest+ overnight. If you're getting errors, try one stick then the other separately.

Check for BIOS updates.

You shouldn't need to up Vcore to run at stock.

Well the thing is that stock is multiplier 9, fsb 266: at 6/400 it just wouldnt run with stock voltage. Bios is latest, diddnt fix my issue. No idea what memtest does (besides the obvious testing the mem), but will try. Thanks! :)

Did two instances of memtest (heard it can only do 2gb at the time), one flew to 500% coverage in a few minutes, other one went at an expected slow pace, it crashed about 20 minutes in the test. Can't put it back on now as ill get noise complaints (one loud motherf-), will try again tomorrow, monitoring it the whole time :p

(Couldn't edit my previous message :()

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249758-29-q9550-p5ql-overclock

VietSideDK wrote:

FSB Frequency - 400
PCIE Frequency - 100
FSB Strap To North Birdge - 400
Dram Frequency - DDR2-800
Dram Timing 5-5-5-15
CPU Voltage - 1.230
FSB Termination Voltage - 1.2
Memory Voltage - 2.1
North Bridge Voltage - 1.2
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled
CPU Ratio - Auto (8.5)
C1E Support - Disabled
Max CPUID - Disabled
Intel Speedstep - Disable

Prime95 For 23hrs With No Error

Load Temp:

Core 0: Min 40 Max 53
Core 1: Min 34 Max 48
Core 1: Min 39 Max 52
Core 3: Min 38 Max 51

CPU VCORE Min 1.16V Max 1.19V

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Here's another thing to try:

Re-set your BIOS settings to AUTO,
install CPU-Z, and report back to us
with all SPD, EPP / XMP and JEDEC settings
from the "Timings Table" under the "SPD" tab.

Also, tell us what shows up under the "Memory" tab
in CPU-Z for a stable config.

Then, we'll have more information about
your memory setting options.

MRFS

"2 x 2GB or 4 x 1GB ??"
2x2GB

"CPU VCORE Min 1.16V Max 1.19V "
Assuming vcore = cpu voltage? The stock CPU voltage is 1.275 for my processor, max is 1.5 on my mobo, so i doubt that those settings are gonna run well on my processor, thanks for the link tho, got me an idea what kind of voltage other people are using.

Total auto settings isn't stable, in fact, wont load the OS or anything, i think i found a new issue though. The power supply is being a pain, seems like something in there is loose or something. Gonna fix that or buy a new one and try the other stuff you said. Thanks :)

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> Assuming vcore = cpu voltage?

Yes: "VCORE" is Voltage of the CORE.

If you've installed the stock Intel HSF, read and heed
what this guy says (he is correct):

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/heatsinks/warning.htm
(see the photo for proof)

Lots of HSF manufacturers have switched to spring-loaded
machine screws, instead of Intel's dumb "push-pins":

KEY POINT: make sure you are using an HSF with a proper BACKING PLATE!!

MRFS

I bought an arctic freezer 7 pro which seems to have the same annoying pins as the intel one, however core temps are about 50C playing crysis. It doesn't seem to be a problem just yet, but i do hate those pins, I guess ill dish out and buy a scythe CPU cooler or something with some Arctic silver when i score some cash sometime.

You really know your computers. Many thanks, gonna get one right away.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Well the thing is that stock is multiplier 9, fsb 266: at 6/400 it just wouldnt run with stock voltage. Bios is latest, diddnt fix my issue. No idea what memtest does (besides the obvious testing the mem), but will try. Thanks! :)

Why did you change the multiplier? Just leave it at 9 and OC with that.

Mate on msn told me i had to have some 1:1 ratio, and 9x400 aint gonna work methinks, so i just followed his instructions. I had the 1:1 ratio and it was quite stable, i found out my stability issues at this point are a PSU problem so its in for repair/replacement tomorrow. Will try MP 9 again when it gets back.

Quick update, father went and dropped PSU off, told them the story, they were really quick about it, just got a new one, installed it, ram running at 1000mhz/2.2.v now, cpu still at 6x400/1.35v, i broke my freezer 7 pro so now im back at stock intel heatsink (20C DIFFERENCE!), will get a new one soon(recommendations?) but anyway, no stability issues, seems the psu was the culprit all along.

Sorry to cause you guys so much trouble, but with my current speeds im happy (playing fallout 3 1440/900 maxed settings while forgetting crysis is still running), i guess there's no need for more tweaking :)

Peace! =D

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I'm having a simular situation but my OS seems stable no crashes so far "knock on Wood". And I have Patriot memory instead and 1066MHz and 4GB 2x2GB. Asus P5Q-Pro though. not sure the difference is.

supernaut

I have Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, Intel Q9550 CPU and OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 2x2GB memory. When all settings in the BIOS are on auto, the memory doesn't work with the motherboard. Memtest reports errors and it does not matter if have have two memory sticks there or only one or which one. To me, this looks like a compatibility issue between the motherboard and the memory. I tried to replace the memory with OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 and everything worked fine. I placed the OCZ Reaper memory into a different motherboard and it worked fined too. Both the motherboard (P5QL Pro) and the memory (OCZ Reaper) are fine, they just don't work together with the default settings. Are there some BIOS settings that would make this work and don't degrade performance?

Anybody figured this out? Or is it an officially unsupported combination?

Thanks.
Martin

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> Or is it an officially unsupported combination?

Check the QVL to answer that question.

> I have Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, Intel Q9550 CPU and OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 2x2GB memory.
> When all settings in the BIOS are on auto, the memory doesn't work with the motherboard.

I don't know if this will help you, or not, so it's FYI:

When I began building my first PCI-Express machine,
even though Corsair DDR2 has a history of working
just fine with modern ASUS PCI-E motherboards,
the User community found that the memory timings
needed to be set manually by overriding the AUTO setting.

See the ASUS User Forum for that motherboard,
at the ASUS website.

> Are there some BIOS settings that would make this work and don't degrade performance?

Try using the memory timings for the OCZ Reaper memory
in the motherboard that is working i.e. override AUTO
and try settings provided by a program like CPU-Z
but with the motherboard that is not working.

Sometimes, PC2-8500 is merely overclocked PC2-6400,
so keep that in mind as a possible culprit. It may be that
a slight VDIMM (memory voltage) increase is also needed.

Another issue to examine is the SPD settings reported
by CPU-Z: I've seen up to 3 different sets of timings
for DDR2. If your AUTO setting chooses one of those sets,
but does not adjust the memory voltage accordingly,
that could be the source of the problem.

There are 2 different sets of SPD timings for automatic
high-performance: one is for compatible Intel chipsets,
and the other for compatible NVIDIA chipsets.

A good permutation to try is 1 : 1 FSB : DRAM ratio,
by setting the FSB to 400 MHz (1600 quad-pumped)
and the DRAM to 400 MHz (800 double data rate).

But, drop the CPU multiplier so that product of 400 MHz
times your multiplier results in a stock CPU speed of ~ 2.83 MHz.

If that OCZ is merely overclocked PC2-6400, this latter
permutation should work fine.

If that works, then try increasing the DRAM frequency
in small steps.

If that does NOT work, back off the FSB until it does work,
while adjusting the multiplier to maintain a stock CPU speed,
and leaving the DRAM frequency constant.
Specifically, that CPU has a rated FSB of 1333,
not 1600.

It's OK with Intel chipsets to run with a ratio
other than 1 : 1 .

You may find that you need to drop the DRAM
all the way down to DDR2-667, to establish
a working baseline: 333 DRAM (667 double data rate)
and 333 FSB (1333 quad-pumped).

There is also the issue of that motherboard's "strap"
some reading on your part. AnandTech.com has
done a good job of explaining its effects on
stock and overclocked settings.

As I understand it, the "strap" setting limits the
the FSB and DRAM settings to certain available
combinations.

Good luck!

MRFS