Sign in with
Your question

New hardware Crashing with Games

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2008 3:36:57 AM

Hello, I got a new Amd 9950 2.6ghz CPU ___ Asus M3A78-CM motherboard ___ Ati radeon hd 4850 512 mb GPU ____ Tamkor 2x2gb ram... SYSTEM

My problem is, when playing games like Crysis and Tomb Raider Underworld, my computer crashes after a half an hour or so....

My suspicion is that the processor is getting overheated, are there any other possible reasons, please help me solve this....

I ll provide all other information if you request .....

Thank you....
December 29, 2008 7:15:57 AM

DUDE YOUR SUSPICSION IS IT IS OVER HEATING? what you suspect>? what is the temps? why did you check them already? bad noobie

post all the specs and all temps - parts voltages speeds bios settings and temps

use the catalyst control and core temp speed fan or other to monitor temps.

if you only have one monitor then spread them acrros the screen and check the temps by shrinking the game tab+alt and look!!!!!!

psu crash games
too little cooling and poor builds and cheap cases crash games
so does poor voltage or overlocking
so does bad drivers
so does the gamer server

its an amd - they do not work very well. i hate to say it?

turn up the voltage on the ram first, check your latenies - run memtest for the desk top

turn up the cpu voltage slightly check temps

to hot can cash to little voltage can to

turn down the fsb if it is oveclocked - its amd so turn down the base clock or hyper link or what even amd calls it

next time get an intel!
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2008 7:35:04 AM

The first thing to try is updating drivers , or reinstalling the ones you have .

Related resources
December 29, 2008 7:54:33 AM

Outlander_04 said:
The first thing to try is updating drivers , or reinstalling the ones you have .

yes

nvidia drives should be reloaded 2-3 times if games crash or even the net

sometimes you should remove them first but it is not always necessary - try both is in a bind for ideas
a c 172 à CPUs
December 29, 2008 8:26:41 AM

If everything (desktop, 2D applications) but games work, probably power or thermal related, possibly drivers.
December 29, 2008 8:37:30 AM

that is usally the psu - CHECK YOUR 12V AMPS

YOU NEED 40 AMP OR SO - IF YOU HAVE 20-25 OR LESS IT IS THE PSU - take off the door and point a fan at the psu

how much is the psu - take the door and offf and if it games longer then the psu is overheating and too small

as a psu goes past 60% sizing it is less effiecent as you go to 80% the psu gets hot - typcially as it heats up the effiecy drops off and it gets hotter this is like change reaction until the system crashes

typically you get a power error but not always

did you buy a cheap case and use the psu it came with? what size is it?
December 29, 2008 8:39:26 AM

drivers could be the game your playing
research that game and your card and your drivers

game driver issue tends to freeze not crash

HALF HOUR IS THE KEY - THIS IS TYPICAL OF PSU PROBLEM

it takes 30 mins for the psu to heat up the "change reaction" like event to occur. then it cools as soon as your restart it

TAKE THE DOOR AND POINT A FAN AT THE PSU - IF IT DOES NOT CRASH REPLACE THE PSU!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2008 8:59:27 AM

chill man...

anyway i doubt its the psu it may be an overheating piece of hardware but unless you have a REALLY REALLY bad psu it won't be the psu
December 29, 2008 1:36:10 PM

Quote:
chill man...

anyway i doubt its the psu it may be an overheating piece of hardware but unless you have a REALLY REALLY bad psu it won't be the psu

really? well the problem here is people come here get the stuff fixed then do report the fix - we shall see?or anyones guess

if he installs a chiller it will just suck up more power!

ps all those psu's that come in cheap cases with 500-600w stampe on them with 25 amps on the 12v will do just that crash in 30 mins

here you go a chiller> http://www.crazypc.com/products/freezone-elite-938202.h...
December 30, 2008 6:02:40 AM

First of all, thanx to all....

As i am a very NEW noob (he he).... i had to read all the stuff over 2-3 times.... to get it....

Hmmmmm now the Diagnosis...
cheap or incapable psu - Possible
too little cooling and poor builds and cheap cases crash games - Possible
so does poor voltage or overlocking - Dint overclock, and voltage was good for my prior pc... so thats not the case i guess
so does bad drivers - drivers upto date
so does the gamer serve - not playing online

And i am taking all the advices and possible issues to the person I purchased my hardware from.... and getting it fixed....

I think its the PSU......

But i ll get it fixed from the guy himself....

And i ll post the news......

Thanx again to all, you all are great (and a bit too passionate .... he he)

Cheers.................
December 30, 2008 6:11:40 AM

hey could it be the RAM, for sure my Ram is dead cheap......?????????
December 30, 2008 7:47:06 AM

nope

his problem occurs in 30 mins ram would happend all over the place or usually right at boot or when you first game.

since he days it crashes after 30 mins that is about the time it takes a psu to over heat and crash

i been doing this a while - i hope he comes back to tells us what happened

i think it is low end psu
December 30, 2008 7:49:35 AM

if someone else build your system i will not give you advise other then here - but if your unhappy and decide to fix it yourself then i will help your by phone for free or email. i can call all over the world free and i am up at 4 am in chicago since i talk to people all over

please spec your parts

if possibel add your voltage from your bios and other settings - hit del at boot

thx!
owner
WSZ!
December 30, 2008 9:00:31 AM

Mr Dragonsprayer.....

I installed software "hardware sensors" which shows temps and other things...

It shows RED-Caution at "+3.3v Voltage " reading, I think there are some irregularities there.....

What do you say.....

AND please explain bios settings in details , this is my E-mail address - spice3boy@gmail.com

Thanxxx again......
January 4, 2009 5:05:57 PM

dragonsprayer said:
if someone else build your system i will not give you advise other then here - but if your unhappy and decide to fix it yourself then i will help your by phone for free or email. i can call all over the world free and i am up at 4 am in chicago since i talk to people all over

please spec your parts

if possibel add your voltage from your bios and other settings - hit del at boot

thx!
owner
WSZ!

My voltage readings

Core - +1.33V and I/O +3.87V

i think theres something there
!