Advice appreciated on new build!

phurbs

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hey people.

I am currently looking into getting myself a new rig. I already have a case/DVD/HDD but need most other components. I have a fair idea of what I want/need/can afford so I am just putting it out here so people can give me a heads up on any major errors, or if people can suggest a tweak here or there. I do have a couple of questions also, but more of that later.

I mainly use my PC for all the usual things, encoding mp3, watching films (Nb. I am getting a 24" HD monitor, so I hope this system can cope with running HD movies and such) and some gaming, although I don't really do much high-end FPS, so I am not overly concerned with the rig being able to run Cryis at 1000fps or anything. Mostly I play CIV4 and Football Manager! Mostly, I just want to be able to run Vista and everyday apps without any hassle!

My budget it kinda tight, I hoping to spend about £300 but I can find some more cash if required. Here is the setup:

PSU: 520W Corsair HX Series - £68.14
Board: DFI Blood Iron P35-T2RL - £69.27
CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 - £55.70
RAM: 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 PC6400 - £64.50
GPU: 512MB Sapphire HD 4670 - £60.71

Now, the questions!

Is it wise to chose this CPU, as it is last gen stuff, or would be better sticking some extra funds into a Core 2 Duo E8400? I would be planning to overclock the E5200 to 3.5Ghz, which is why I chose the DFI board. Is there a better choice for this or should I stick with the DFI? Also, since I am clocking it I would appreciate some recommendations on decent cooling options. I would like this to be quiet as possible, so I dont mind paying for a quiet heatsink.

On the PSU front, this one only has 4 SATA connectors, which is fine for now (3HDD and 1 Optical) but if I stick another SATA in, I am going to be stuck. Is there any way of converting say an extra IDE power line to SATA?

Will this stand up to my requirements? I am mostly concerned about the 24" HD viewing, I think it will handle my gaming needs.

Thanks again people!

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Civ4 ain't very demanding in terms of gpu. The only issue with this game is memory leak. You might want to google that & hack the executable so that you can play very large maps with tons of units.

Football Manager is mostly a 2D game.

The e5200 will more than suffice for those games and the other tasks. It can be overclocked to nearly 4Ghz if need be. The cpu is far from last gen. It's 45nm. A budget version of Wolfdale. Minus some features like virtualization.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAY7

Def. hunt for this cpu cooler combo. One of the best.

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
Xigmatek Crossbow ACK-L7751 mounting bracket

If you have never overclocked a cpu, you might want a mobo that's geared towards beginners. Like GA-EP45-DS3R.