Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cell Phone HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:51:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

<http://hypebot.typepad.com/hypebot/2004/10/hdtv_on_your...;

The cellphone industry is working to build phones able to
receive high-definition television signals over the air,
even though HDTV has yet to make its way into most American
living rooms.

---

Who would've thought...HDTV "saved" by very tiny screen
displays. ;) 

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm&gt;

More about : cell phone hdtv

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 2:13:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

No doubt incorporating a cool running 700 lumen projector into the phone to
throw the image on a wall...

or was it a tri-colour scanning laser?

"K. B." <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote in message
news:7mgs315qu95s61uvvivd2hoh3cvugmrg5m@4ax.com...
> <http://hypebot.typepad.com/hypebot/2004/10/hdtv_on_your...;
>
> The cellphone industry is working to build phones able to
> receive high-definition television signals over the air,
> even though HDTV has yet to make its way into most American
> living rooms.
>
> ---
>
> Who would've thought...HDTV "saved" by very tiny screen
> displays. ;) 
>
> Kirk Bayne
> alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
> <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm&gt;
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:31:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

><http://hypebot.typepad.com/hypebot/2004/10/hdtv_on_your...;
>
>The cellphone industry is working to build phones able to
>receive high-definition television signals over the air,
>even though HDTV has yet to make its way into most American
>living rooms.

Why would you want to display high-definition television on an Ultra
Low Resolution screen? Even if you can actually make a 2" screen
with resolution to display 720p or 1080i accurately, human eyes
still have limits, and carrying a cellphone in one hand and a
magnifying glass in the other is very awkward (especially for the
idiots trying to drive at the same time).

How many people have to die in accidents before people realize that
TV on cellphones is a safety hazard?

Gordon L. Burditt
Related resources
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:56:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Gordon Burditt wrote:
>><http://hypebot.typepad.com/hypebot/2004/10/hdtv_on_your...;
>>
>>The cellphone industry is working to build phones able to receive high-definition television signals over the air, even though HDTV has yet to make its way into most American
>>living rooms.
>
>
> Why would you want to display high-definition television on an Ultra Low Resolution screen? Even if you can actually make a 2" screen
> with resolution to display 720p or 1080i accurately, human eyes still have limits, and carrying a cellphone in one hand and a
> magnifying glass in the other is very awkward (especially for the idiots trying to drive at the same time).
>
> How many people have to die in accidents before people realize that TV on cellphones is a safety hazard?
>
> Gordon L. Burditt

A new stretch. First it was mobile was the equivalent of "driver
watching TV while in motion" disregarding all the ways a driver can
watch a video while driving now. There are laptops and DVD players
galore that offer mobile video not to mention that a very high
percentage of vehicles that come with rear seat video etc.

Now we equate cell phone use with driver use automatically.

If this line of reasoning is to be followed we should outlaw drive thru
fast food restaurants first and then restrict mothers (or fathers) from
having any access to their children while driving. A soundproof rear
closed compartment for kids. Then makeup and haircare products in a car
should be felonies.

All this before we get to cell phones let alone restricting them from
receiving video.

I don't think anyone is expecting the cell phone to display HD on its
screen. They do expect the cell phone to be a receiver for HD
projectors, to be attached to larger display devices like an HD monitor
or to be used with heads up gear where the individual has a head mounted
display that delivers an HD experience.

There already exist pocket projectors and heads up displays and cell
phones being used as receivers for large TV sets or monitors.

It all exist now. But don't expect any of it with 8-VSB. We are safe
from the future of HDTV here in the US.

Cell phone attached to larger digital display...
http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/02/3gsm_03_phonetv.html

Pocket projector attached to cell phone digital TV receiver. Really
small ones are in the works. Smaller than the one at this site...
http://hometheater.about.com/b/a/137964.htm

The neatest solution are heads up displays IMO...
http://www.brilliancorp.com/products/nearEye.html
http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.738

Bob Miller
March 23, 2005 3:56:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Forget today's cell phones for HDTV. But look at the new Sony Play Station
portible device. Toys like that will offer a fully integrated experience in
the near future, including true over the air HDTV reception.

Richard.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:06:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Richard wrote:
> Forget today's cell phones for HDTV. But look at the new Sony Play Station
> portible device. Toys like that will offer a fully integrated experience in
> the near future, including true over the air HDTV reception.
>
> Richard.
>
>
Obviously but not in the US with 8-VSB.

Bob Miller
March 24, 2005 3:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

"Bob Miller" <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D P60e.2272$H06.1650@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Richard wrote:
>> Forget today's cell phones for HDTV. But look at the new Sony Play
>> Station portible device. Toys like that will offer a fully integrated
>> experience in the near future, including true over the air HDTV
>> reception.
>>
>> Richard.
> Obviously but not in the US with 8-VSB.
>
> Bob Miller

HDTV defined as at least 720p60/50 requires a display that can provide the
viewer with a full resolution picture of the proper aspect ratio. This
cannot be achieved with the small display available in a cell phone. New,
larger, hand held multi-purpose devices with wide screens will soon meet
this requirement. It has nothing to do with modulation standards. But you
knew that Bob, didn't you?

Richard.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:12:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Richard wrote:
> "Bob Miller" <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:D P60e.2272$H06.1650@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
>>Richard wrote:
>>
>>>Forget today's cell phones for HDTV. But look at the new Sony Play
>>>Station portible device. Toys like that will offer a fully integrated
>>>experience in the near future, including true over the air HDTV
>>>reception.
>>>
>>>Richard.
>>
>>Obviously but not in the US with 8-VSB.
>>
>>Bob Miller
>
>
> HDTV defined as at least 720p60/50 requires a display that can provide the
> viewer with a full resolution picture of the proper aspect ratio. This
> cannot be achieved with the small display available in a cell phone. New,
> larger, hand held multi-purpose devices with wide screens will soon meet
> this requirement. It has nothing to do with modulation standards. But you
> knew that Bob, didn't you?
>
> Richard.
>
>
I am talking about the HDTV reception ability of a cell phone with a one
inch antenna that makes it an STB for larger displays that include heads
up displays, pocket sized projectors, full sized projectors or any
number of display devices we know nothing about today since they are not
invented yet.

It has everything to do with the modulation method if you do not want to
carry directional antennas on 30 ft mast around with you. I like the
idea of an HD receiver that will fit into a cell phone and use cell
phone size omni antenna.

Bob Miller
!