Why are some filenames blue?

September 11, 2005 9:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

More about : filenames blue

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 9:17:10 PM

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
> blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
> black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
> and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

By design, WinXP automatically compresses files that do not get used
frequently, and, if you've left the default settings intact, displays
those files in blue.

If you wish to change this behavior, in Windows Explorer, click
Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced settings: Show encrypted or
compressed NTFS files in color.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
September 11, 2005 9:17:10 PM

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
> blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
> black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
> and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Right click > Properties.

Is compression turned on?
September 11, 2005 10:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello Nathan,

The files that have been compressed appear in blue. The files may have been compressed by the user
or by the Disk Cleanup utility.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are blue in Windows
> Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are black? I am assuming there is some
> significance to displaying files in blue, and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:31:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

By default, blue files in XP are compressed files.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eHo9nYxtFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
> blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
> black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
> and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

May 27, 2012 7:15:28 AM

right click on the blue file > click properties > click advance > uncheck compress contents to save disk space > apply > ok
!