Why are some filenames blue?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
    > blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
    > black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
    > and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    By design, WinXP automatically compresses files that do not get used
    frequently, and, if you've left the default settings intact, displays
    those files in blue.

    If you wish to change this behavior, in Windows Explorer, click
    Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced settings: Show encrypted or
    compressed NTFS files in color.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
    > blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
    > black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
    > and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Right click > Properties.

    Is compression turned on?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hello Nathan,

    The files that have been compressed appear in blue. The files may have been compressed by the user
    or by the Disk Cleanup utility.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are blue in Windows
    > Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are black? I am assuming there is some
    > significance to displaying files in blue, and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be
    > appreciated. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    By default, blue files in XP are compressed files.

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eHo9nYxtFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > There are certain files whose names (and any other fileinfo displayed) are
    > blue in Windows Explorer. Why are some files blue while some files are
    > black? I am assuming there is some significance to displaying files in blue,
    > and I would like to know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

  5. right click on the blue file > click properties > click advance > uncheck compress contents to save disk space > apply > ok

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP