Can PSU cause graphic corruption ?

Hornet85

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I just got a 9800GTX+ 3 days ago, and I have 2 crashing issues, the entire screen becomes corrupted, filled with lines and pink boxes and the computer hangs

1st - when I open a video file. Corrupted and hangs for 1 second and restart

2nd - when I start to run furmark. Corrupted and hangs

However, the card runs perfectly fine during gaming, Crysis and UT3, performs as it should, no corruption or crash.

Don't know if this is helpful but intel monitoring tool shows the 12v to be ~12.300 at idle, and when at full load such as furmark, it drops to below ~12.030

I'm just wondering if its possible for PSU insufficient power to cause those graphic corruption or it has to be the graphic card?

PSU 450W 25A at 12v rail
C2D 6550 system with 2 hard disk and 2 fans

thanks for any input

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If your PSU is a good quality brand, it should be OK. If its a cheap no-name then it may be struggling. Have you plugged all required power leads into card? Is the colling fan on the card running? Install Speedfan, it will show temp of GPU and also let you monitor the 12V rail. If it drops under load you have a PSU problem.

Mike.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Your PSU is at the bare minimum for PSU requirements on that card (450watt/24amp), and I'm not sure what they do for calculations but you might want to look at an upgrade there. While typically a PSU doesn't cause artifacting, it's possible. If you get a new PSU, then see if the card keeps artifacting. If so, then the card has some issues.

Sometimes cards only show their weaknesses in certain games/apps. I had a card that would work perfectly fine, except that some of the doors in Oblivion didn't render correctly and in the Deep Freeze benchmark, it would flicker a little bit. It was a video card problem. I sold the card to my friend and he has the same issues.

Hornet85

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
firstly, thanks for all the replies

Its Acbel brand. They made some average quality PSU for coolermaster and gigabyte.

Speedfan still can't detect my motherboard voltage till this day, but from Intel's monitoring tool, there is a drop of about 0.3v... should I be concern about that?

btw, the fan is working fine. Its kind of loud, and gets louder under load, so i suppose its working fine. temp is also ok, below 80c under full load

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you are getting video artifacts your card is either faulty, overheating or not getting enough power. have you installed lates Nvidia driver? Did you uninstall previous driver?

Mike.

Hornet85

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008

Yes, I uninstall previous version before installing this card. Only after I put in this card that I install the latest from nvidia website, 180.48, a WHQL driver according to the site.

It seems to happen frequently when I play a video file, whole screen corrupted and hangs

All my games so far ran fine :??:

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
It seems to happen frequently when I play a video file, whole screen corrupted and hangs
What are you using to play video clips? Try an alternative application. You could have corrupted/out of dat Codec.

Mike.