Sign in with
Your question

HELP! computer won't post!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 2, 2009 2:10:21 PM

I was playing a game on my computer last night when the whole computer suddenly froze. There was no response from the mouse or keyboard and there was a repeating sound coming from the speakers. I had to manually turn off my computer and when I tried to turn it back on, nothing came on the screen and there was no post sound. After a few more attempts to no avail, I opened my case and took out my 8800gt, thinking that it had something to do with it. I had an integrated, so I turned it back on and still didn’t hear any post beep. I don’t know what to do at this point. All the fans and lights are running, but nothing is showing up on the screen. Is my mobo toast or is something else the culprit??

ASUS p5l-vm 1394 / Barebone case V2-P5945G BIOS 505
Core2 Duo E6420
PQI 667 DDR2 ram 2GB
OCZ modXstream 500W
MSI 8800GT
Seagate 320 GB

More about : computer post

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 2, 2009 3:19:42 PM

Try resetting the bios first by moving the cmos jumper over one position, and returning to it's original position with the system off. Removing the motherboard battery also works. If it still doesn't post, I would take the motherboard out of the case, and do a minimal bare post on a phonebook or cardboard box. Use only the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, keyboard, mouse, and video; no drives connected. I touch the power switch leads to power up; enter the bios, select the boot order, save and exit. Then start connecting each device one at a time until the problem appears. Of the 2, the power supply would be the easiest to change out first. If the board is bad, request an rma from asus. Some boards have a 3 year warranty.
!