Which Voltage settings do you specify?

Which Voltage settings do you specify in BIOS?

• DRAM only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vcore only

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Vcore and DRAM

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • IMC/QPI/Vtt, Vcore and DRAM

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • PCH/ICH, IMC/QPI/Vtt, Vcore and DRAM

• PLL, PCH/ICH, IMC/QPI/Vtt, Vcore and DRAM

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • All - set a value for every Voltage setting so I know what the board is doing

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • None - leave at Auto and let the board decide what's best

• Total voters

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I've been tweaking my Vcore settings in BIOS recently to see how unnecessarily high the Auto setting was. It has made me curious about the rest of the V settings. Which settings do you leave at auto and which settings do you update with specific values? Or does your motherboard allow you to select 'Normal' and do you use it?

The settings I've been eyeing recently are:
QPI/Vtt (IMC) Voltage
PCH Core
CPU PLL
DRAM Termination
Ch-A Data VRef.
Ch-B Data VRef.
Ch-A Address VRef.
Ch-B Address VRef.

Creating options for this was kind of tricky. I'm guessing the primary settings people change are for DRAM and Vcore. After that I tried to prioritize. I also tried to make the language somewhat generic, not chipset specific.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I'm feeling pretty good about the main voltage settings. Although admittedly I still don't understand exactly what the PLL and PCH core do. I think I have a good sense for what they affect, but I like to understand all the details and I'm a little shaky there. I don't like to follow a guide that says set this setting to XYZ and then back down til it crashes. I like the ones that explain why you're setting something.

So some of these settings I've found to be very obscure. Like the DRAM termination, and CH A&B Data & Address VRefs. Where do you find good information about the settings that are discussed so much less often?