Hard drive does not boot; Jumper related or DOA HD

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
I am in the aggonzing process of getting my home made PC to boot up the first time. It has a Gigabyte MB, a AMD Phenom quad core CPU, 2 gigs of 533 mHz ram, one EIDE plug and 6 SATA ports. The C drive that I have connected to the end of the EIDE cable was running (I think) when I dis-assambled the old OC. The C drive jumper is in the "master" position. There is nothing connected to the middle plig on the EIDE cable. When I power up the platform, it goes through all the bios steps, including detecting the HD. But when it gets to the step where the C drive should boot, it says boot failure". Should I remove the jumper or is my HD trash? It is a WD EIDE 100 BB . If the C drive is trash, should I then proceed to connect the SATA drives (2) and use the EIDE port for the CD/DVD RW drive?

bilbat

Splendid
You will likely need ro reformat/reinstall windows - the whole driver set for the old MOBO is now wrong; hard to even say/determine which one is causing the immediate failure - and if you could, and could somehow manage to fix that, the next driver to load would simply fail. Put the old drive back in the old machine, backup anything you need to an external/USB stick, whatever; THEN reinstall, & add the correct drivers...

^ Exactly. You cannot simply move a Windows installation from machine to machine.
It don't work that way. Best bet is to install the SATA drive and just do a new Windows install to it. Add your IDE drive as the secondary drive AFTER you do the Windows install on the new SATA drive, do not put it into the boot order in the BIOS, and then you can have access to all your saved files and data.
Repeat...do not install the old IDE drive until you have Windows installed on the new SATA drive.....then plug it in afterwards, and do not add it to the boot order in the BIOS.

The postion of the jumper on the IDE drive is of no matter or concern on the newer boards with SATA devices as far as booting your system. Of course if you have more than 1 drive on the cable, the second drive must be set slave, but this is simply to make the 2 drives "play" together correctly.
But still, this has nothing to do with how your drives will boot up on this newer style board.

There will be a listing of all your drives you have connected to the board in the BIOS.
You simply select what devices you want in the boot order, and in what order.
If you do not want the IDE drive(s) in the boot sequence, you simply leave it(them) out.
Same for the SATA drives, as there are no master slave jumpers on them.
They will all show up, and you pick the ones you want to add, and in what order, to the boot sequence.

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Thanks, JIT. I was unaware on that "little" nuance. I'll follow your instructions and see how it goes. Thanks, again.