Intel Q9300
ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe
Corsair 2GB DDR3 1600
ATI HD4870

Old parts:
2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB
1 older 160GB Western Digital
Plextor 716 DVD burner

The power supply I have is a Silverstone 600W.

It seems that this build hangs at different times. Can't install Vista - hangs during install. Managed to install XP, however it'll hang at random times.

Is the power supply too weak for this system now? Should I be looking at an 800W or higher?

Thanks for the help.

More about : built computer hangs time

a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2008 3:24:08 PM

That power supply should be fine, i'd look elsewhere for the problem. Memtest, HD
October 5, 2008 3:28:37 PM

I would suspect that you put a standoff in the wrong place or left a standoff in the wrong spot.

Or a screw fell behind the motherboard.

Related resources
October 5, 2008 3:30:41 PM

another thing you can do is remove one stick of memory and see if that works - if not swap it out with the other one and try again.

Is it hanging or rebooting?
October 5, 2008 3:32:09 PM

Have you checked the RAM (memtest)? I had kind of this same issue with other builds and it was due to faulty RAM sticks or bad configuration of the RAM.

Run some memtest to check the ram and also set up manually your processor in the BIOS (voltage, FSB, multiplier, etc).
October 5, 2008 3:37:23 PM

Wow. Even memtest hangs up. The Corsair Modules I've got in there are SLI ones. Those are probably the problem then, eh?

The BIOS is at 1103. The latest one on ASUS' website is at 1306, which adds support for more ram modules. Going to give that a try.
October 5, 2008 3:50:32 PM

Ya try the bios but pray that it dont lockup during the flash or you might brick your mobo.

I definately suspect ram. That board had lots of ram incompatibility, thats why it has so many Bios's already.
October 5, 2008 3:55:41 PM

Well, so far so good. It's almost done the second pass already, where as prior to the BIOS update, it lasted a whopping 3 seconds before hangup. Hopefully that solved the problem.
Thanks for the help guys!
!