Sign in with
Your question
Solved

"This device can perform faster" popup

Last response: in Storage
March 10, 2010 4:27:21 PM

Got this popup just this morning, and hadnt seen it before. http://yfrog.com/0fusbpopupp

From what ive read it can mean a lot of things: outdated driver, devices plugged into usb1.0, Enhanced Controller setting disabled in BIOS.

I recently built this system and downloaded and updated every available driver from Gigabyte's site, including f5 BIOS flash. I dont have usb1 on this mobo. The Enhanced Controller setting in BIOS is no where to be found. In the BIOS i have all usb controllers enabled including usb1. Ive got the following usb devices plugged in:
In I/O: Seagate Freeagent ext hdd, keyboard, mouse, and headphones.
In front panel on tower: 2gb secureguard flash drive.

Windows 7 64bit
GA-x58a-ud5
i7 920
WD black 1t
WD raptor 74gb
2 optical drives
gtx 260
OCZ 6gb ram
corsair tx650

This popup doesnt seem to show consistently. It arrived when I booted out of hybernation but not when I restarted the system from cold. It doesnt worry me much but i would like to understand what is going on and resolve issues rather than ignore them.

Please let me know if any of you have suggestions.

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
March 10, 2010 5:08:33 PM

Your controller may be USB2, but if you insert a USB1 device for example your keyboard, and insert a USB2 device on the same USB channel, then both devices will run at USB1 speeds (1MB/s).

So this message is something you get when at least one device you connected is not USB2 compatible.
March 11, 2010 1:24:25 AM

Alright, I guess I have something to work with now. Will position the devices differently and try to fix by rearranging them.

Thanks for the info.
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2010 7:00:49 PM

I rearranged my USB devices and since OP I havent had the popup again so I feel somewhat confident that was the problem.

Thanks Sub Mesa +1 to you. :) 

m
l
March 17, 2010 7:01:30 PM

Best answer selected by 4trees.
m
l
!