Deleted Partition (not formatted) how do I restore it?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi, I had two 160gb sata HDD's, one with my OS, and one with all my data on it. I thought one of them was the one with my OS installed, but I was wrong. I put it in the XP CD, and got to the "install/create partition" I then deleted the partition, but I did not go on with the format, because I noticed it was the wrong HDD.

Now, when I put the HDD into the computer after reinstalling windows on the right HDD, the drive does not show up in my computer.

HELP!

sub mesa

Distinguished
You need recovery software that can find a lost partition. Try Active@ file recovery, or some of the many alternatives. Some programs are free, most are commercial.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
The partition has been deleted, so you cannot see it in my computer, but you can see unallocated space in disk management.
So you need partition recovery software to recover deleted partition, Partition Table Doctor is recommended.
http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm
If you cannot recover deleted partition, you need data recovery software to recover data from deleted partition. Some data recovery softwares are free, most are commercial. Try this free data recovery software, maybe it is your best choice.

hi, thanks, yes I did a bit of googling and found a free trial one from cnet and downloaded it. Boy it saved my life. Detected and recovered within minutes. All 120GB's of the drive.

Thanks for all the advice!

ONG88

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
hi, may i know what is the software to rocover your hd?

i am facing the same problem with you, i tried many ways, but still could't get back my data.
thanks

devil

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

plss.. may i know how u did it all.. m having a same problem.. :(

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

O god, if I could only remember. Tell me what you did, and I'll let you know if its the same. What I did was go into the XP reinstalltion and acidecently deleted the partion becuase I had a few HDD's in the system and noticed to late. But I didn't format it.

Did you format it?

raysopinion

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

I found this thread after accidentally deleting a data partition with lots of stuff I needed as well as movies and music. I was setting up a new system and had forgotten to unplug my external drive. I typically delete any partitions on a drive before installing an OS .. so that's what I did. I knew I hadn't reformatted the drive, however, and the partition deleted instantly so I knew the data had to actually still be there.

I unded up using EaseUS Partition recovery (free). It totally rocked! Recovered my data completely and only took a few minutes. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!