Compaq Armada 1750 Won't Detect DVD-ROM

misha8725

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I have Compaq Armada 1750 6333/T/6400/D/M/1. (Reference to HP Website)
I used regular CD-ROM drive to install Windows XP Home Edition. Upgraded amount of memory and larger hard drive. Installed DVD-ROM drive. Windows unable to detect that DVD-ROM drive is even connected. It is connected correctly, I checked with HP for part number and misc. I believe since the hard drive has been updated and according to my research, the BIOS for these laptops reside on the hard drive. HP ended support for this with Windows 2000. I attempted to follow instructions to restore Partition Data to have the BIOS installed. I was able to create the floppy in Windows and Booted, started running utility then was told no system devices detected for Update. I was horribly confused and have almost given up hope; since HP will not support anymore. Any ideas, things to maybe-even-kinda-try-to-see-if-they-might-work-suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!

I can't find any hardware specs for your laptop.

If the DVD shows in the bios, you should be able to use it.
It could be not supported if the laptop is really old.
The bios is on a chip on the motherboard. The hidden partition on the hard disk contains restore information. It can be erased without affecting the laptop. You just would not be able to use the restore function by pressing a key on startup.
If you want to do a restore from DVD/CD, change the boot order, so it boots from the DVD/CD.