CrossFire with HD3870 setup questions

ElixirX

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Hi everyone,

Finally time to get a new computer to play with, but this time I want to try to build my own! Below is some of the stuff I plan on getting to setup a crossfire setup and I was just wondering if anyone here can give me some feedback and let me know if there are any major flaw with the setup

So far I plan on getting a

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R for motherboard
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9550 - BX80569Q9550 - Socket 775 for CPU
2 X VisionTek Radeon HD3870 Video Card (512MB, PCI-E 2.0) run in crossfire
DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL CRUCIAL X 2 for total of 8GB of ram
and Raidmax Volcano 630 Watt Modular Power Supply to power all these beauty up

ofcourse I will probably install maybe another DVD-RW, possibily a wireless N card, and perhaps a sound card of some sort

Does all these seem decent so far? Will 630 watt of power hold up? Are there better suggestion for any parts?

So far my total comes out to be around $900 USD and will probably end up somewhere around 1000-1100 USD, this computer is for gaming purpose mostly, so any advice from pro gamers are greatly appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the fourms mate :)

Your rig looks cool however i have some recommendations,i say get a Q6600 G0 stepping and OC it,it OCs very well :) and save some bucks.also change the VGA to ATI HD 4850.And for RAM,i dont think u will need 8GB RAM,2GB/4GB Will be enough :)
And for PSU,that should do fine,however OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 600W would be a nice alternative :)

What resoluion do u play at ? u may not need CrossFire,read the FAQ:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire-faqs