Is overclocking my CPU okay?

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
  • GPUs
  • BIOS
Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2010 12:26:54 AM

Ive got an Intel core 2 duo, running at 2.8 Ghz (This one: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35563). Yea, I know how, BIOS n' stuff, but is it safe? And yes I'm a gamer, but i don't have exactly what you wold call a gaming prossessor. What would you guys recommend for me to overclock to? Also, I've heard of overclocking the GPU, do i do this in the BIOS too? For my GPU Ive got a NIVIDIA GeForce 9400 G. So, whats this deal with GPU and what should I set my CPU too? Thanks. -Graboy

More about : overclocking cpu

January 20, 2010 12:32:11 AM

one more thing, im usin' a laptop with a charger of 330 watts, and its always plugged in. Does this matter?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2010 1:26:42 AM

As far as I'm concerned over clocking a laptop if even possible is not a good idea.

The way they come designed from the factory and given the limited resources they have for cooling as it is you'd simply be playing with fire by pursing such a course.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2010 8:32:46 PM

I checked the bios and it sayed that the bus was running at 11x, isnt this low? I dont think overheating would be a problem, I got an alienware (yes overpriced but i didnt know at the time) and the fans seem pretty good. around 70% of the bottom is covered with fans, and i got a few on the side. What about my Graphics Card, I hear you can get 2. What graphics Card would you recommend and is it possible to have two? And what about my prossessor, what kind would fit into my slot?

Thanks, -Graboy
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2010 8:41:07 PM

It would likely help if you provided the make and model of your laptop to better enable people to give guidance.

Also the link in your original post does not work for me.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2010 8:41:44 PM

Have you even looked at the BIOS, 99.9% chance you can't even OC it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2010 8:45:04 PM

RJR said:
Have you even looked at the BIOS, 99.9% chance you can't even OC it.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too though I am not familiar with Alienware at all.

So far of the ones I've tinkered with I have yet to encounter a laptop that allows overclocking.
m
l
January 20, 2010 9:28:53 PM

Graphics Card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9400gt_us....
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 (6M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
(or here if the link works: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35563 )
And my Alienware: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-alienwa...

I hope that's what you want. Tell me if I need some kind of system scan.
Also, im doubting that I can overclock it. Although there was one setting that i could flip on and off in the oc meny. I g2g, Ill talk to you tomorrow.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2010 10:15:58 PM

From what I've found searching it appears that the M17X may well allow a bit of overclocking.

Ran across this little blurb at notebook forums..... Overclocking is handle in the bios under "Over clocking" you can set "CPU Multipliers Select: [Default to 16x] (**on unlocked CPU's)". You also have an option to "Select Clock mode: [Linked and unlinked]". "Unlinked" let you set "Memory frequency: xxxx" and "FSB Frequency: xxxx"

Regardless my personal feeling is that it's still not the best of ideas on a laptop.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 21, 2010 1:41:07 PM

I agree with LoneWolf here. OC'ing a laptop, even if you can, is not a good idea.
m
l
January 21, 2010 7:34:05 PM

Exactly why though? Power consumption? Battery pack? I got all those options on those forums you found, but all of them are grayed out other than set clock mode where it is currently set to "auto" so I probably need to set it to "unlinked" or something to edit those settings. As I mentioned earlier my prossesor is set to 11X instead of 16x (for the bus) should i set it to 16x? Also, if I decide I shouldn't overclock it, I still want more power for my PC, and I was hoping that I could get an I7 that fits into my slot. With the info on my prossessor a few posts above, do you guys know of something that packs a bit more performance but still works with my PC? Any other help would be great. -Graboy
m
l
January 21, 2010 7:36:11 PM

Looks like my prossessor suports the BGA479 and PGA478 slots. No clue what that means, but i hope its helpful.
m
l
January 21, 2010 8:44:10 PM

I feel like im spamming my own thread, but whatever. Just downloaded this helpful program, its tellin me that my CPU is running at around 30-33 Celsius, my PC's supposed to shut down at 70-80 right? seems like i've got some OCing to do. but I want to hear from you guys first, what do you think? 30-33 a good area for a laptop and would it be safe to increase it?
m
l

Best solution

January 21, 2010 8:49:05 PM

Usually laptop mfg does not allow more than 5% overclock or so. Anyway, oc it as far as it will go, and then just keep track of temperatures for a while. All chips, mem and CPU included will halt long before any damage can be done. Keep the laptop with air around it. If you have it in your bed or on other soft insulating surface, it may run hot with stock speed.

Our lab guys routinely run all kinds of CPUs, especially first silicon, faster and faster until the bits jumble, and it halts. But thats all; bits jumble, and it halts. Cool it down, and it is just fine.
January 21, 2010 10:30:37 PM

That sounds good. Thanks, ill look into it. :) 
m
l
January 21, 2010 10:30:52 PM

Best answer selected by graboy.
m
l
!