E8400 temperatures (help!)

tjm2482

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I recently installed my E8400 with it's stock fan/heatsink. I'm getting idle temps of around 45 degrees celcius, and it's jumped to around 60 degrees when running a Spybot Seek & Destroy virus/trojan scan.

I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, so how can I reduce temperatures without having to buy a new fan/heatsink?

Scott Davey

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Hi there,

I'm almost certain that your heatsink isn't sitting properly. It's easiest to install them with the motherboard out. Basically each of the four little center black knobs on the bottom-side of the fan/heatsink need to be flush with the two white prongs surrounding each.

Good luck!
Scott

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Re-seat the heat sink, then measure your temps with RealTemp, RealTemp actually measures 45nm processor temps correctly. Nvidia 's control panel reads them usually much higher. But re-seat it first because it's very common for push pins to un-seat themselves for fun.

tjm2482

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
After an hour or so of fiddling with my PC, I'm back. I noticed that I put on thermal paste as well as the stock thermal pad, so I used alcohol and q-tips to clean it, then I re-applied the thermal paste and put everything back together. I'm assuming I put the heatsink on correctly thing my temps went down a good amount.

Whoever thought of the 4 leg/pushpin idea needs to be fired from Intel.

RealTemp says 32 degrees celcius and I'm currently running Firefox, AIM, and iTunes.

Nicely done. :)

tjm2482

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It went up to 40-45 while playing Counter-Strike Source, I'm assuming I'm good? I was running Crysis/Far Cry 2 when it was running hotter, but I just want to make sure. I still have a couple questions:

1. What is "too high" of a temperature? So I can set the warnings and whatnot in my BIOs.
2. What BIOs settings should I be using?
3. How much of a difference will a new fan/heatsink make?

tjm2482

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah I used that artic silver guide for my installation. I just ran the stress test on Prime95 and RealTemp read a maximum temperature of 60 degrees.