Thermaltake Armor+ MX and PSU questions

matsamune

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
So I'm planning to get the Thermaltake Armor+ MX
Thermaltake_Armor+_MX_02.jpg

Now I'm going to install TWO 9800GTX+s on a Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme board. The two 6-pin PCIe connectors (a total of 4) on the 9800GTX+s are on the END of the card.
1222237992c93a757e75.jpg

As the cards may be too long for the casing, and the 3.5" HDD cage might block the PCIe connectors, as well as block a LOT (actually, ALL because they're mounted perpendiculaly) of the intake air, I've also decided to get the iCage (which converts three 5.25" bays to tree 3.5" bays with an intake fan in front)
icage1.jpg

I've read only one review that claimed the HDD cage that comes with the Armor+MX can be removed and installed in the 5.25" bays instead (theredore eliminating the need for me to get the iCage). I would be grateful if someone could confirm this.
02b_RemovableHDDcage.gif

Also, if I were to be forced to get the iCage, would I be able to install the 'air filtering mesh grills' in front of the iCage?
front_bracket2.jpg
front_bracket.jpg

Or would it HAVE to look like this, with the iCage sticking out with nothing covering it?
icage5.jpg

matsamune

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
*Double posting because there was a limit to how many pictures could be displayed in a single post*

==========
PSU Questions
==========

Now on to my questions about the PSU.. I want to do lots of OC-ing with this rig and these are the parts that are coming in:
Core i7 920
GA-EX58 EXTREME motherboard
1333MHz 6GB triple channel DDR3 RAM
Dual 9800GTX+

Should I get a single, dual or multi-rail PSU for overclocking? I've searched on the internet about this issue but they go too much into technical detail. I'm currently planning to get the Thermaltake ToughPower QFan 850W (Single rail, if not mistaken).
thermaltake_power.jpg

Also, with the casing previously mentioned, I realize that in reviews the power supply has it's intake always facing the inside of the casing. (As shown in the picture)
install.jpg

Would I be able to take advantage of the mesh on the top of the Armor+MX to suck air for the PSU from the outside by flipping the PSU upside-down? Or would the mounting screw configuration get in the way?
front_quarter.jpg

top.jpg

top2.jpg

back2.jpg

Yes I know.. Lots of questions =P Sorry for the trouble, ppl!

matsamune

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Went out and bought the case.

The Armor+MX does not allow you to flip the PSU, only the full version does.

The iCage can be installed before the dust covers. However, it is not 'locked' into the casing but tightly held in place by sheer pressure.

matsamune

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Yes I did. Seeing that no one has replied, I had to take chances and just went out and bought the stuff =S