Sign in with
Your question

cause of artifacts in 3d games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2008 10:12:46 AM

i m using Nvidia 7900 GS. recently i notice alot of artifacts in 3D games, is that suppose to be the GPU or the memory problem? some ppl told me it might be PCIE slot too. is there a way to find out what cause those artifacts?

here is one of the picture with artifacts when i was playing Fallout3
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166/atp01/artifacts...

any help will be appreciated. thanx

More about : artifacts games

November 2, 2008 10:45:27 AM

Temps ok? Could be heat, or if the card was overclocked it might be damaged. You can check the card temp with speedfan, also it would be a good idea to manually see if the fan is still spinning.
November 2, 2008 10:52:20 AM

the fan still working. its 60degreee celcius when playing 3d games.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2008 10:52:51 AM

^ +1
On a card that has been performing well in the past, the most likely cause is heat. Time to blow the dust out of it, make sure the fan is working, etc.
Just read that it's 60, but that does not mean you still should not check it out for dust etc.
Other than that, overclocked too far, or it's simply showing signs of an impending death.
November 2, 2008 11:04:35 AM

i did check for the dust n clean the fan. this card comes with a core setting of 500mhz and ram @ 700mhz. i tried set it to 400 core n 600 ram, still see alot of artifacts. when i tried 500 core n 450 ram, artifacts are greatly reduced. does nvidia has something like Atitools where u can effectively set the core/ram n check for artifacts?
so u guys think it wont be the PCIE slot's problem?
a c 107 U Graphics card
November 2, 2008 11:11:48 AM

ATItool will work on Nvidia cards, and even over/under clock most of them. Sorry to say, it looks like the card is toast(or close. Looks like bad ram.). On the plus side, there are allot of cheap replacements that are fast for the money.

I must be lucky, I have never killed a video card with age(one came defective once.)
November 2, 2008 11:23:37 AM

Yeah, sorry to agree with nuke here but the card sounds bad.

A PCIE slot is just a connector.. it doesn't really have a way to generate artifacts. If the PCIE bus was having problems you'd probably see other signs. If the card was not seated properly you could see other problems, so unlikely. But, you could check the seating just to be extra sure.

The thing is, artifacts are a very well known Bad Sign (tm) with unhappy graphics cards, so the probability falls on the card failing.
November 2, 2008 11:34:26 AM

I've had a similar problem once, with a 7950GT, it suddenly started showing purple triangles while gaming (I even thought the card was gay :p ), anyway, I went to the BIOS and manually set the PCI express frquency to 100 (was on auto), and the problem solved. The card is still running strong on my brother's PC.

I it's not this, the card is probably dying a slow death (probably bad ram)
November 2, 2008 11:42:40 AM

what could be a good replacement? i dun plan to spend alot on the new card. is 9600gt a good replacement? its not very expensive and XFX is a good brand isnt it? or how about 8800 since the price is not very far away.
November 2, 2008 11:53:15 AM

thanx ghmage. oh btw Sircrono, i m no as lucky as u. my PCI frequency already set at 100MHZ :( 
oh btw, whats is PCIE 2.0 ? i dont think my current board is PCIE2.0 so it can still use those PCIE2.0 cards like 9800 ...?
November 2, 2008 11:57:34 AM

SirCrono said:
...it suddenly started showing purple triangles while gaming (I even thought the card was gay :p )...

LOL :lol: 
Edit: Were you playing dress up pony at the time?
November 2, 2008 12:35:40 PM

ghmage said:
LOL :lol: 
Edit: Were you playing dress up pony at the time?

Was playing Barbie Magical Fairies and Friends, great story and gameplay btw.

As for the card replacement, I'd say on the cheap side the 9600GT is a great choice (EVGA or XFX for the warranties) and if you can spend a little more maybe you could go to a 4850 (Sapphire is a great brand).

Edit: You could post your specs (specially PSU) so we could give a better suggestion
a c 259 U Graphics card
November 2, 2008 4:08:38 PM

1) Are your NVIDIA drivers up to date? Can you try one of the Beta drivers?
2) Cooling is often the problem. Take the side cover off of your PC and direct a house fan at the innards. See if that helps. Temperature monitoring is not always accurate.
3) Can you test with a different PSU? Over time, they can deteriorate.
November 16, 2008 3:40:47 AM

i got a XFX 9600gt zalman fan version. btw, any of u guys know how the fan works? can i control the fan speed?
!