Replacement for Radeon 9800 pro AGP

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
So basically the video card in my brother's computer is going. (As the title suggests Radeon 9800 pro AGP in an XP machine.) So to tide him over I've temporarily installed an old Voodoo 3 card which is really a stop gap measure.(Since it's old and I have no idea how good the drivers are.) However I'm trying to find out what would be a decent card that is about as good as the old Radeon. So can anybody suggest a card that would be the functional equivalent to his old 9800 pro? (And would hopefully be cheap, not use a stupid molex connector, and if possible even be passively cooled.)

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006

To be honest he doesn't play any games on it.(He really uses it strictly for web browsing and e-mail) About the only game playing is my nephew playing flash games on the thing. Right now the voodoo is fine for now but I'm figuring given how old it is that could quit any time. I had thought of a Radeon X1050 which looks to be cheap enough and good enough. (Weird thing is that Newegg has one that says it has a 4 pin power connector but the photo of it doesn't show any connector at all which is weird.)

The other reason I was hoping to go for passive cooling it to make his PC even quieter if I can. (There was a little noise with the old 9800 pro but the Voodoo is silent which is kind of nice.)

iggybeans

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
A bit slow (and definitely a step down from the 9800 Pro), but cheap enough. Another alternate, a used or refurbished x800 (at about $50). Again, faster than the 9800 Pro and only a little more costly.

iggybeans

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Or a Radeon X700 AGP card. Prices (for new cards) start at about what you're quoting on the X1050. And, again, it's faster than the X1050 or the 9800 Pro.

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006

That's what I was hoping for. I know my brother won't be using it for gaming. (I play the occasional game but then again I've got a geforce 9600gt which is a bit better.)

Actually that reminds me, a Geforce 6200 might also fit the bill. (I mean by not requiring extra power, be fanless, and come in an AGP version.) Any idea how that might compare?

Thanks for the info Iggybeans, I'll have to look into the X700 as well.

The Geforce 6200 is teh better performing card by some way actualy.
Make sure if you are getting one from EGG that its compatable with your motherboard. The XFX card says its AGP X8 only and the PNY card says X4/X8.

Mactronix

TRENDING THREADS