Amd 5200+ Upgrade gone wrong

Sekular

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Mobo: Biostar TF7050-M2

4 gig of OCZ ram

320 gig sata HD

I have been running an athlon xp 3800+ for quite sometime and recently started looking for new quad cores and mobo's. Well I ran across the 5200+ for 60 bucks and thought that would be a nice cheap compromise until later on and I'll build a whole new machine.

So my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX - Retail comes in today and I decide to swap it out.

When booting up into vista, the loading screen with the green small bars that scroll from left to right comes up, it would make 3 or 4 passes and hang. I waited awhile and rebooted. So I look up the tutorial on here about the system startup repair and try it. I insert my cd and boot from it and it does the same thing. Just hangs at the green scrolling dashes. I can go into my bios and change settings around, so I clear my cmos and try it after not coming up with any other ideas to get past it.

Well that does seem to work and I get to where I can try the start up repair, it goes through and detects no errors. So at this point I decide to make the plunge and just format. It starts and completes the formatting process, and as it is installing windows, it decides to reboot instantly. I knew this was a bad sign because it wasnt the normal rebooting countdown like it was completed and needed a reboot.

I allow it to reboot and it now tells me that it will need to start the process from scratch. I restart and allow it to start, as I was choosing my drive to install to it restarted again and thats where I stopped.

So, presently I have a formatted computer with the cpu in, which vista does not seem to want to load onto.

Any suggestions or should I RMA this puppy while I can still get a refund.

Thanks in advance.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
It could be a bios issue, or it could be a heat or PSU issue. First thing I would want to check is the BIOS.

Bios
Check your motherboard manufacturer and see if they have an updated BIOS. It could be that your motherboard didnt originally suppor the processor but support was most likely later added thru a BIOS update. If you are still running an old BIOS the new processor may be recognized but could act funny causing the symptoms you are seeing.

Heat
Are you sure you properly seated the processor cooler? Did you use good thermal paste in a very thin layer? Does the BIOS show your CPU temperature and if so what is the range.

PSU
What model and size PSU are you running? What type of video card?