Sign in with
Your question

PIO v DMA Xfer mode????????

Last response: in Windows XP
March 11, 2011 10:44:35 PM

Synopsis and problem:

Last year had serious and final computer crash---went south for last time would not boot up. Finished. So rescued 3 (three) IDE 40 pin hard drives out of old Dell box and wish to download all their data into this Dell xps410 with an XP pro sp3 OS.

The 3 HDD that I stripped out of the old Dell 4100 Dimension were the main hard drive, 40 G, that did most of the work and two auxiliary HDDs used mainly for storage and little else---one was 13 G, the other, 4 G. So the game plan was to dump all of their data into this tower that is running now. I have so far invested in two USB 2.0 to IDE SATA adaptors (40 pin to USB 2.0) and these old hard drives will spin up but nothing shows up on the screen...nada.

I read somewhere that this transfer will not work if the old hard drives are in "PIO mode" or if something is in PIO and I need to know what can be done if anything in this case. The odds against all three hard drives being faulty are astronomical so all that is left is either both of the two new adapters that I recently purchased being belly up fresh out of the box or the computer/OS being dirt. Frankly I am anything but favorably impressed with XP pro....windows seems to get progressively more rotten with their OS software. By the way, I checked to see that each of the 3 HDDs is in "master"

But regardless, what if anything can be done so I can transfer this stuff and toss these three old hard drives?

More about : pio dma xfer mode

March 12, 2011 12:11:03 AM

did you try them in slave
m
l
March 14, 2011 6:16:48 PM

Make sure you connect the IDE drive to the adapter, then power up the drive using the power adapter, THEN plug in the USB cable to the PC. Any other order and you will have problems.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 2:02:08 AM

scout_03 said:
did you try them in slave

No, was explicitly advised not to....getting mixed sigs on this.
m
l
March 21, 2011 2:02:55 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Make sure you connect the IDE drive to the adapter, then power up the drive using the power adapter, THEN plug in the USB cable to the PC. Any other order and you will have problems.

Been there, done that
m
l
March 21, 2011 2:04:09 AM

I am beginning to think all three HDDs are fried
m
l
March 21, 2011 3:58:45 AM

My IDE drives are WDC and when connected alone, without slave, to a 40 pin IDE ribbon the jumper needs to be removed... no jumper.

If you think the drives are fried what have you got to lose by jumpering them as master, slave, CS and no jumper to see if one setting will work?

When using cheap IDE to SATA adaptors bought from Hong Kong on eBay, jumper configuration made the difference between the drive being recognized and functioning properly and not being recognized and hanging the boot process.
m
l
March 21, 2011 4:07:42 AM

Are you absolutely certain the USB adapters are recognized and are usable by Windows? They normally don't need a driver but autodetect must see the controllers or you'll get the results you are now experiencing.

PIO is a setting in Windows. The drive itself has little to say in the matter. If the USB/IDE adapters fail to be used by Windows, try a PCI card from "Promise" or similar. They can handle different LBA schemes that perhaps your adapter cannot.

Be certain that there is no Dynamic Drive Overlay installed in the drives by a program/system that fools the BIOS into using a drive larger than it could normally "see" without it. Drives with that installed usually must do the booting of the computer.

m
l
March 21, 2011 5:02:26 AM

tigsounds said:
Are you absolutely certain the USB adapters are recognized and are usable by Windows? They normally don't need a driver but autodetect must see the controllers or you'll get the results you are now experiencing.

PIO is a setting in Windows. The drive itself has little to say in the matter. If the USB/IDE adapters fail to be used by Windows, try a PCI card from "Promise" or similar. They can handle different LBA schemes that perhaps your adapter cannot.

Be certain that there is no Dynamic Drive Overlay installed in the drives by a program/system that fools the BIOS into using a drive larger than it could normally "see" without it. Drives with that installed usually must do the booting of the computer.

I know that PIO means programmed Input Output and that you can set your controller for that in xp....all controllers are set on DMA but the other stuff....how am I supposed to know of if there is Dynamic Drive Overlay in this contraption, whatever that is?

m
l
March 21, 2011 5:10:38 PM

The only drive that would possible have a dynamic drive overlay is the 40GB. It would only have it if the old computer was so old that it couldn't "see" a drive larger than 32 GB. That would be one from the 1980's.
You took the drives out of a Dell 4100 Dimension, so this is not a problem unless an overlay was installed needlessly (very unlikely).

3 drives that used to run but now don't is bit suspect. I'd be trying other IDE devices (CD ROM?) connected to the USB/IDE adapter and prove it is faulty or not.

You said the drives spin-up and that is a good sign. Some people plug the drives into an adapter but fail to power the drives and then wonder why nothing works.

Try the adapter in another computer. We get a lot of people with USB issues concerning various devices that aren't detected or usable by windows in their machines. If it works in another computer then the problem of detection/use can be addressed in the machine you prefer to use.
m
l
March 21, 2011 9:26:10 PM

I'll try that....meantime it was recently brought to my attention that a serious enough virus can in fact wipe out all harddrives in a box like this....in my case 3 pretty much at once. But at the time it happened, I am just short of positive that I also had an external 465 G HDD (I Omega) hooked up to the old Dell and running at the time yet on THIS computer I can access any file on the Omega and read and otherwise manipulate its contents with but one and only one exception...and that file is listed in green instead of black letters.

Any event, I'll ' try hooking something else up to the adapter to see if it flies and if not will send the adapter back to MCM :lol: 
m
l
!