Sign in with
Your question

What CPU heatsink for AMD 955 in antec 900 case

Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2010 1:26:55 PM

i ordered all my stuff through newegg but forgot to get a cooler

my mobo is ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X
my ram is OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600\ Antec 900 case AMD 955
and i was looking for a cooler for my CPU that would work in this set up in new to building and any help would be cool thanks
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 20, 2010 3:39:23 PM

I'll point you here first. Just about every cooler will fit in that case, you might not be able to use the side fan, or might have to cut a corner off a fan. You also need to watch out for the height of your memory. If they have those crazy high heatsinks on them some coolers block the first few mem slots.

But look here first, choose your best options and then look into total height and mem issues.
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

These issues have been discussed a lot here, so you might want to do some mind numbing post searches and manual digging. You might find your answer..

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2010 5:46:32 PM

With a set of 2x 2Gb of ram you will not have any issues as far as clearance goes regardless of the CPU cooler. The issue is when you have all 4 banks occupied.

How much do you want to spend on the CPU cooler?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2010 9:37:34 PM

^5 +1 what Conumdrum said.

Frosty tech is a very good web site that has a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks. It can help you make an informed decision.
m
l
!