Sign in with
Your question

IDE to SATA Drive cant boot to cd/dvd

Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2010 12:07:30 AM

I recently upgraded my system to a Asus Maximus iii Formula which has no legacy IDE connection... only sata, including optical. My current dvd burner still works great so I used a IDE to SATA converter and all is good except one thing.... It wont boot from cd...., It shows up in my bios as the right name on the sata 6 plug. It wouldnt see it if it was connected I connected it to the optical sata on the mobo...

any Ideas on what im doing wrong?

im on an Asus Maximus III formula mobo, Sony lightscribe dvd burner and Addonics sata converter. Thanks in advance.
March 11, 2010 12:56:08 AM

don't you have boot menu option with you bios, like f12 or f10 keys in Intel boards,, use that boot menu and select you DVD drive for booting..
m
l
March 11, 2010 1:52:52 AM

I've got the bios set to try the dvd first. It flashes by real fast saying no drives detected, so it moves on to the hdd and loads fine. F10 loads the speeding HDD feature, and F12 didnt do anything. What I dont understand is why it wont detect the drive as a bootable option but reads and burns just fine in Win7...
m
l
March 11, 2010 5:35:57 AM

check the jumpers & try to find boot menu key for your mother board, those f12 & f10 is for intel.. i never used asus
it may be esc key for boot menu try to find it ..if i got it i tell you
m
l
!