Sign in with
Your question

4870X2: Too many issues to be worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2008 6:19:54 PM

I was thinking about getting a 4870X2 until I started seeing all of the issues surrounding this card (poor driver support & very hot).

Build:
Q9550
4gb G.Skill Ram
Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 750TX
Antec 900

This will my second build (1st one was five years ago) and I really don't want to deal with things overheating (esp since i'll be cooling w/air). Will the 4870X2 issues be fixed once I install the latest drivers and set the fan speeds up? Do I need to use RivaTuner to increase the fan speeds and if yes will the speeds stay at my setting even after i reboot?

More about : 4870x2 issues worth

November 2, 2008 6:54:09 PM

then what do you suggest as an alternative? why are you using 4870x2 yourself?
November 2, 2008 7:05:38 PM

rflction said:
I was thinking about getting a 4870X2 until I started seeing all of the issues surrounding this card (poor driver support & very hot).

Build:
Q9550
4gb G.Skill Ram
Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 750TX
Antec 900

This will my second build (1st one was five years ago) and I really don't want to deal with things overheating (esp since i'll be cooling w/air). Will the 4870X2 issues be fixed once I install the latest drivers and set the fan speeds up? Do I need to use RivaTuner to increase the fan speeds and if yes will the speeds stay at my setting even after i reboot?

Most of the "issues" with the 4870x2 have been exaggerated by the Nvidia crowd. The driver support is not bad, but you should realize that the card will not perform as well in games that don't support crossfire. A manual fan control was added to the last set of Catalyst drivers and yes, the fan speed you set will remain even after reboot.

The 4870x2 is a great card if you need that much graphical horsepower. It's certainly not the best bang for your buck, but then again the high end cards never are.
!