Removing FreeNAS HDD, Useing It In Windows XP - Is It Possible?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

If I where to remove a HDD that was part of a FreeNAS set up (non-raid, FreeNAS installed elsewhere) can I use it as an external medium for a windows XP machine? Or is it only FreeNAS compatible?

i.e - 100 movies stored on a 500GB HDD, I no longer require a server, and take out that HDD and pop it into my normal desktop as a secondary HDD, will it be compatible/load normally?

(I guess the HDD will be non-NTFS as FreeNAS is set to something else as default.)

FreeNAS native file system is UFS. No, you can not just take a UFS formatted drive and have it be windows compatible/load normally. However, there are utilities available that allow windows to read UFS partitions.

Check out FFS File System Driver

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

Where would I need to install the driver? Onto my normal C drive or onto the UFS partition? I want it to be as easy as possible to switch HDD's around when needed.

Also, lets say I used the HDD in my windows PC, and added some files to it. Would it still work with the FreeNAS PC if I where to put it back in? Or would I need to reformat the whole drive?

I did ask this before some time ago, but its good to get a second opinion. I have a 80GB HDD, full of my info, I would guess I formated it useing NTFS. Can I plug and play this into the FreeNAS? If not, do I HAVE to format the drive? Or can I someone use a utility to make the FreeNAS read the drive?

Thanks!

est1984

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
is there a way of added the freenas formatted hard drive's to a windows 7 computer... i need to remove the motherboard that the machine is currently running on and swap it with another one.