Overclocking Phenom 9850 Black Edition

torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hello,

I have never actually overclocked a system and am seeking some advice. Below are my specs.

Motherboard: ALiveNF7G-FullHD R3.0 nForce 630A chipset
CPU: Phenom 9850 2.5GHz Black Edition
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1066
HDD: 160GB
Graphics: Galaxy GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit
Power Supply: EarthWatts EA 500 watt

I just recently ordered the graphics card and 4GB memory upgrade (haven't installed them yet). So with the upgrades and the possibility of wanting to overclock the processor, the only thing that concerns me is the power supply. Do you think 500 watts is enough? I'm also wondering if I could overclock without having to raise the voltage. Maybe that would help with power issues. Thanks for the help!

The power supply is of pretty good quality and is more than enough for that system. Really though, a 9500GT is kind of a weak GPU for gaming now adays. You will have to raise the vcore to get any kind of decent overclock out of that CPU. If you're lucky, you can break 3.0GHz, but that will also depend on your cooling.

torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, the graphics card was cheap, but I don't play much games and bought it mainly to run Photoshop. My current integrated video (GeForce 7050 with 256 shared memory) wasn't doing the job and 3D rendering (Open GL Drawing) was very slow and malfunctioned. So I'm hoping that the 1GB card will at least preform well enough to run that program.

Although I have no idea where to start when overlocking my CPU. It seems the settings are already set to auto for overclocking. Would someone be able to tell me what to change based on the pictures below. Thanks a bunch!

1.JPG

2.JPG

Here's after changing Multiplier/ Voltage Change to Manual. Maybe this is where I need to change something. I'm not sure what to adjust.

4.JPG

3.JPG