I want to build a computer

tycobb280

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
first of all i would like to apologize. im what you would call a noob in the field of building. Ive done a little research, but still a little confused. I need to know where to start, and what will work with what. Im looking to spend around 1k on the whole thing. Are there any web sites that i can enter a certain motherboard and it will tell me what CPUs i can use with it and that kind of thing? i dont want to go out and buy the best gfx card when everything else cant support it and doesnt use it to its full potential. any suggestions on good sites to do some research or where to start would help. thanks guys.
Ty

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
honestly there are lots of sites, but i'd have to do the same thing you would in order to post them here: search google. But keep a few things in mind, puting a pc together is like putting a puzzle together, the pieces only fit one way (for the most part). do more research, put together a couple things and post them here for ppl to look at, we'll help you don't worry. and don't be in a hurry, the whole process goes by too quickly.. :)

A good site is www.hardwaresecrets.com has tutorials that give fairly short explanations about different components and reviews. I've found www.hardwarecanucks.com the be pretty good also. www.tomshardware.com of course

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
just for starters if a motherboard says am2 or am2+ it goes with AMD processors if it says 775 it goes with intel processors everything else we can help with and you wont get any dirty looks from posters

tycobb280

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
well thanks for the advice on getting started. im sure i will be back quite often. as far as taking it slow im definetly going to do that. im only going to buy one or 2 pieces a paycheck depending on the cost of them