Sign in with
Your question

Games keep crashing my new build.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2010 7:57:04 PM

Hi
Alot of firsts here. First Build and first post. Scanned alot of forums before writing up the shopping list to make sure I got everything right without completly overdoing it. I lost patience with the old machine so thought I'd just build something fast and hopefully future proof (as much as that is possible!).
Well everything started great booted up first time installed OS. Fast as hell when compared with the previous one. Build details below. (Are you asleep yet)

Tweeked it a bit to get RAM's operating at PC-1800 7,8,7,20 and applied a little OC to bring CPU upto 3.6G. Needed to play with Vtt and VDimm to get it stable.

Never intended to use the machine for Games but I thought what the hell lets see how this thing runs.... and that's when it all fell appart :cry: 

Installed Burnout Paradise. Started up fine but within 30 seconds of the game starting the whole rig just restarted. Reset everything to AUTO in the BIOS (CPU back to 3G with RAM at 1066) just in case it was my feeble attempt at OC but same story. Tried DIRT 2 just in case it was the Game but that one caused restart just about at the intro.

I'm hoping that some expert here will have some insight as I'm lost at this point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gigabyte EX58-UD5 F7 BIOS, i7-950, Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866MHz 6G,
Noctura NH-U12P Cooling, EVGA GeForce GTX285 2GB PhysX CUDA, Corsair HX 850W, WD VelociRaptor 300G, 2 x WD Caviar Black 1T in RAID0, Antec 900 II Tower. Windows 7 64Bit

More about : games crashing build

a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2010 1:55:02 AM

Did you test your system stability before you loaded the games, e.g., Prime95? I'm guessing, no. Clear your CMOS, which will clear all your BIOS settings and reset them to default. Make changes you have to make, like enabling RAID, save and exit. POST and boot to the OS, run torture tests in Prime95 to ensure stability (some run this utility for a few hours, other for days - your choice. When you are satisfied, try your games again. Then reload your OC BIOS settings and do this all again until you get "no errors."
January 21, 2010 5:33:57 AM

Hi

You guess correct. I did run RAM tests and a stability test that is built into Everest. I'll go with Prime95 as suggested. Does this also stress the Graphics card ?
Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Related resources
January 23, 2010 1:24:36 PM

Hi

Well as suggested I reset CMOS and ran Prime95 Torture test. Started with 8 threads Balanced test and it died within 10 seconds. Ok I thought lets take some smaller steps. Selected Small FFT's with 4 threads. Ran for 1 complete Self test, upped to 8 threads and again ran for 1 complete selftest. Incrementally went like this until I had a Blend with 8 Threads running. Core Temperatures up around 58 - 60 C. I left this one run overnight but when I checked in the morning it had rebooted after about 1 hour. Trouble is that when it crashes it literally just reboots no error messages/warnings. Very frustrating !

Set Prime95 off again with just Small FFT's on 8 Threads (was trying to keep the RAM out of the equation as much as I could). This ran for about 9 hours. No errors reported in the Prime95 results. I also had Real Temp logging temperatures every 5 seconds and nothing strange there either, again all cores about 58 - 60 C.

Looked about on the web a bit more and came to the conclusion that I should up Vdimm to 1.66v. Using Dominator GT so 1.65v is spec for them, I was thinking that maybe the 1.5v BIOS setting was too low. Monitoring the voltage in Easy Tune 6 showed 1.648v. Also upped Vtt to 1.215v from 1.175v. Memories are configured at only 540 Mhz 8,8,8,20 which is well below spec. (They are PC3-1500 speed)

Ran Prime95 after this and I got no more than 40 minutes using Small FFT's with 8 threads. So my voltage tweeks arguably made it worse. Next I thought I should enable Load Line Calibration. This had no noticable effect on stability but still think it's probably best to leave it enabled in order to keep Vcore a bit higher under load. (1.22v)

Current setup is Default BIOS Settings with exception of Vdimm 1.66, Vtt 1.215, Load Line Calibration Enabled.

Right now I'm running Mem Test on all available RAM (using 4 instances). Will do this for 24 hours but no errors showing up yet with more than 100% coverage.

Will keep you posted...
January 28, 2010 6:54:13 PM

Hi

I'm going to close this thread. Not because my problem has gone but because I'm on the wrong forum. This is not an overclocking problem I can't even get it stable with SAFE settings.

I'll research some more threads and probably post on the Gigabyte Motherboard forum. I'll contact Gigabyte support

Thanks to jsc and treefrog07
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2010 11:22:45 PM

You're welcome, I hope it is as simple as one bad stick of RAM. One more suggestion regarding memtest: load the iso files onto a CD or other bootable media, and boot to memtest from POST, don't run it in windows. It test all the RAM.
!