11MB/s, reboot, then 50-60MB/s

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I have two computers running Vista Ult x64, one a 3.7ghz quad with 2 drives in raid0, the other a 3ghz dual core with just a master/slave hdd setup that i use for file storage. Both have onboard gigabit NICs, both are connected to a netgear gigabit switch with cat6 cable. I've been running into problems recently when i try transferring files from the slave drive of the one PC to the primary on mine (the raid). It will transfer right at around 11MB/s, and i can only get it to go at gigabit speeds if i restart the computer i'm copying to. this is after both PCs have been running for a while... like today, they were both on overnight, when i got on them this morning i tried transferring a 13gb file and it went slow, i rebooted my computer (the one i'm copying to), and then tried again and it was goin 5x faster. There is no major network traffic to slow it down, practically no other cpu or disk usage when this happens.

Anyone have any suggestions of things to try so that I don't have to restart my PC to get my usual speeds?

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
copying from a dvd at 300k/sec instead of 10meg/sec used to be a vista problem.. hdd to hdd too.. flash drive to hdd.. over the network etc.

they fixed it mostly with SP1 but some problems linger.

try rebooting both then when they are going fast...

open something like shoutcast radio on winamp and see if it slows to 10meg or lower.

what can happen is vista aggressively limits your transfer speed to keep latency low for multimedia streaming...

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

thanks for the reply. i have sp1 and havent noticed any slower then normal transfer rates elsewhere. i also dont use shoutcast/winamp or any similar service, but it take it youtube/myspace video/music streaming could cause the same thing? is there any way to disable this, if it is the cause? i'm going to do some testing right now with youtube

*edit*

yeah, it transferred at about 60MB/s, opened steam, still went fast, open utorrent, still fast, winamp (regular mp3 playback) still fine. opened firefox and it still was going fast, but when i went to youtube and played a video and then copied while the video was playing, it went at like 11-14MB/s. I close out youtube and it went fast again. Opened youtube back up, and it went slow. The thing is, in the past when it has done this I didnt even have firefox or anything that could have been streaming open... I can live with slow LAN transfers while i'm on youtube and similar sites (i think its stupid to limit a gigabit network so much to stream a low quality video like that, but oh well), but it seems to get stuck in that slow speed mode at times. I'd LOVE to be able to disable this "feature" of vista altogether.

*edit again*

found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066 tried the reg entry change to disable the throttling altogether, tried transferring while on youtube again, still went slow. Rebooted and now i can't get it to go slow, so hopefully it stays that way!

Thanks for pointing me at the cause of the problem. this was a perplexing and aggravating one!