Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi I have a ASUS P5Q-E motherboard. And G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK.

In the P5Q-E motherboards manual it lists all the type of RAM that is compatiable. And for each type of RAM there are three boxs labled A,B,C

A Supports one module inserted into either slot as Single-channel memory configuration.

B Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the yellow slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration.

C Supports four modules inserted into both the yellow slots and the black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration.

Now my DDR2 RAM (G.Skill) F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK only has the A box with a * (or meaning been ticked.) How is it possible that I have 2x2gb of ram installed when it only says for that ram that only A is accepted/used/allowed/ ???

Is my DDR2 Ram running in a Dual-Channel memory configuration? Because according to what the manual says my RAM (G.Skill) F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK can only be used as for A. ???!!!???

Thanks

Mondoman

Splendid
Usually the RAM compatibility list is not exclusive (it doesn't show every possible model of RAM). I would ignore it, and just run memtest86+ or something like CPU-Z; either will tell you whether your RAM is running in single-channel or dual-channel mode.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I would bet your RAM is running in dual channel. One other way of seeing if it is in dual channel is to disable the POST splash screen and look at the POST. At the beginning it will say "running in dual channel interleaved" or something similar.

I believe they are referring to possible stability issues.