Psu choice...which is top dog?

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
hello toms people!

so here is the deal...building a new machine in 6 months, but i was thinking of using christmas money now to procure a new psu..my cm pcar-500 sucks..yeah, 600w my tushy...and not ready for dual cards...or tri... anyways, here is the two i have my eye on. suggestions for more are welcome, but i would LOVE to have modular cables, but not needed...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 the first one up..its nice, not modular, but still gets the job done right?

and the second...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815002

great reviews on this one, dual 4870 ready (that is what i think i will choose, once price comes down...in the next 6 mos i hope!) and in the upper tiers i see...so, up to you guys' pickings, which is better iyo?

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Go with the Corsair....

Both of them are the same PSU mostly***. They are the same CWT OEM and model built PSU, but there are key differences. The Corsair's internals use much higher quality parts and capacitors. The Xigy cuts corners...thats how they get the lower prices.

Theres my 2 cents...u can go from there

Edit: (ugh not that list again......^^^)

intrepix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I would take a hard look at using a dual power supply in a full ATX case as it serves 3 major purposes. The first is cost, you can buy 2- 650 watt PSU's for a 3rd of what it would cost for a single 1300 watt. Next, they have twice as many fans and they operate independently in two separate areas of the case which means a lot less heat issues especially in a Lian li A70B which has 6 big case fans in addition to the four PSU fans as you have 2 fans for each PSU.
The third is you can use one PSU to feed the mother board and a high end graphics card. The other can feed the other 2 high end graphic cards and whatever drives you have attached with cables left on both PSU's to power up any LED ornaments, additional fans or what have you.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

uhhh :heink: :heink: (Not exactly sure how this comes into play....really love if ppl would READ THE POST!!!)

But in all respect....dual PSU is just a PITA. Unless u really have a dual PSU case (TJ07....$350, comes to mind first) where do u intend on putting the second PSU? Plus u need 2 outlets to run them. They would probably be less efficient and price is probably true if they are non-modular which leaves u to deal with and extra 24 pin connector, and maybe 10+ other wires....

Still to OP, stick with the Corsair

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
so corsair is better eh? sounds good. its only 5 bucks more after rebate..cant beat it i guess. hmmmm. yeah the dual psu is PITA for sure. you have to either get that dual case (super expensive!!!!) or hack the one connector and splice it into the one for mobo so it turns on when the rest of the system is on...i seen somewhere on google that a guy made a guide to do it...dual psu..no thanks, i need room for internal lcs and stuff...but thanks for the input though, it was awesome for you to go out like that and help as much as you did.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

The Xiggys use the CWT platform like the Corsair 750/1000 and Thermaltakes Toughpower...But there is a key difference

They Do not use the same quality components inside like Corsair or TT
Theyre decent, but they just cut corners to save on cost (and thus cause their cheaper prices)
So its ur call, Price vs quality

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
hmmm...and i thought that xigmateks were some of the best..i guess that tier listing needs to be updated huh? i havent looked at it in a few months...

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
I would never use that Tier list....
It never gets updated...and it uses generalized thinking.
If ones good...theyre all good, but for some manufacturers, thats not true

Xigmateks are decent...not the worst, but Corsairs and Thermaltakes that are running the same CWT platform are better
uhhh :heink: :heink: (go to bottom, all u need)

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
you mean this?

[img/]http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1222468080OELmzdQks5_9_1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS