E8400 temps dont make sense

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hey guys, i have a E8400 with the stock intel cooler and earlier today i was on my pc and real temp read my temps as core 0= 55C as the lowest/ core 1= 57C as the lowest. both were around the lowest maybe 1-2C warmer, but i bought arctic silver 5 compound about 3 weeks ago so i decided to change the thermal paste to that. so i get my arctic cleaner and surface purifier and proceed to clean and purify the hsf and cpu. then i applied 2 strips of paste to the top of the cpu and then put the hsf back on and booted into windows and real temp read to me core 0= 90C/ core 1= 93C. WTF!! i thought this stuff is supposed to help lower temps not raise them. so after about 2 minutes the pc shut off. so i waited a few min then turned it back on but it shut off right after the post screen. so i open the case and let it cool for a good hour then came back and temps were still lower 90C. so then i take the hsf off and thoroughly cleaned and purified both the hsf and cpu and re-applied arctic silver 5 paste using 2 strips of paste and got the temps down to 65-68C idle. now do i need to buy a new/stronger/better cpu cooler or did i not apply the thermal paste right? if some one could please help its greatly appreciated because i cant afford another cpu if i burn this one out.
thanks.

i have a cooler master 330 elite case that has 1x 120mm fan in the back for exhaust and i added a 90mm to the side panel (has a spot for one, dont know if it should be intake or exhaust) and there is a spot for a 120mm down in the front of the case behind the hdd bay which i put one there too and it is intake. i have a total of 3 fans 2x 120mm (1 intake/1 exhaust) and 1x 90mm side panel fan (dont know how it should work, need help there too) thanks for help.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
you did not apply it correctly. you probably put too much on IMO. thermal paste works best paper thin and spread out evenly across the cpu in my experience.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
"2 strips" of paste? All you need is a tiny droplet in the center of the chip, espically since its a dual core.

Also, even too much paste wouldnt give you those horrible temps, be completely sure you have all 4 push pins snapped down completely (youre more than likely going to need to remove the motherboard for this, as well as to use your hand to support the board beneath the socket).

The fact that the thing was at 90c on bootup and then shutdown due to overheating means the cooler is obviously not seated/installed correctly. Too much paste will not cause the chip to run idle a good 65c over the normal for that chip

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

so is 65C ok for idle? also should again take out the hsf and cpu clean and purify and then add only a little dot? how do i spread the paste around the surface? i dont think im supposed to use my finger. i use either paper towels (rough kind like actual paper almost) or could i use a q-tip to clean/purify? please let me know, thanks

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
65c is NOT ok for idle, I said the 90c idle temp was 65c OVER what it should be idling at. That chip should be idling around 25-30c, maybe 40c with the stock cooler.

And you dont need to spread anything, the contact will spread it out. Just put a droplet in the center of the CPU and put the heatsink on.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Id actually advise not messing with it anymore if your heatsink reinstall does not work out. Shuting down due to the 90c+ overheat more than likely hurt the CPU. RMA it if you can, or just wait until you get a aftermarket cooler.

Its unlikely the chip is permanently damaged, but 90c is 90c, that's 194f, it dosent like that. 70-75c is about the limit for operating, and shunned upon.

Huttfuzz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
COOP, you had a nice aftermarket cooler with the XPS 630i, my temps are 28-31 with it. I don't understand why you messed up with that dude.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

no this isnt my xps 630i this is in my other build (1st homebuilt). to spathotan, i will redo the paste in a bit but it doesnt hit near 90C any more just those 2-3 times. ive got it down to 63-65C idle and after 30 min of crysis warhead its at 78C. still alittle warm but ill fix it. thanks for your input.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
ok now i really dont understand, i took out the cpu and hsf, cleaned and purified the surfaces, put a little drop in the center of the cpu then put the hsf fan back on and now real temp reads 80C idle. WTH is going on?? i dont think real temp is reading it right because the cpu and hsf weren't that hot to the touch like they were when they were reading 95C. is there a better temp program and my bios doesn't tell me temps i already looked. please help and thanks. i turned the cpu fan to 100% in the nvidia control panel but i dont think it made a difference.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
well i re-applied the paste again last night and it still idles around 63-65C. i need to buy a better cooler i think. because ive redone the paste at least 6 times in 24 hours and still cant get it in the 50's. its the crappy intel cooler.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Its either one of the following

A. Its the CPU itself. Highly unlikely
B. The motherboard is overvolting the hell out of the chip, and for those temps im talking about 1.5v and higher.
C. You just arent pushing the pushpins all the way through

A or B = RMA the chip/motherboard/both. You should probably do this regardless since the chip has touched 100c and shutdown.

C = You really need to remove the motherboard from the case and install the cooler this way, so you can be absolutely positive the push pins are locking in place. The stock intel coolers are not the best, but adequate for stock speeds and small OC's and still keep temps decent, espically on dual cores. A new cooler is not going to reduce your temps by 30-40c.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
well also spathotan, i got to thinking when i slowed my self down my case only has 3 fans (2x 120mm and a side 90mm fan) i have 1 intake and 2 exhaust so im just not getting enough cool air into the case with what i have. i have a cooler master 330 elite case but im running a oc E8400 (3.4GHz) and SLI 9800GTX, i need a new case with better air flow is what needs to happen. im going to upgrade the case to a cooler master 690 case, that thing holds 8 fans and 6 of them can be 140mm. not bad for an $80 case. also my psu is above my cpu and has 1 fan blowing its warm air right on top of the cpu hsf. i noticed the way that intel hsf works is the fan blows air downward on to the metal hs part instead of drawing air away from it which is really stupid imho. so ill just start the new build ive been working on and sell this pc to a friend who does very light pc gaming (xbox fanboy). but thanks for all your help and info and if the cpu burns out oh well, like i said im starting a new build next month as soon as my "monthly government check" gets deposited.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
The PSU pulls air INTO it, and blows it out the back outside the case. Also the side fan should be intake not exhaust. A new case wont lower the temps by 60c.

Sorry if it seems im nagging you, just trying to help out. Dont know where you got the parts from but I just highly recomend RMA'ing those parts. Dont sell your friend a burnt CPU.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hey spathotan, i was messing with the voltages this morning and in cpu-z it read 1.39v. now i know/ read some where that cpu-z shows the actual voltage by subtracting .05 off of what the setting is, so my cpu was set to 1.44v (i had the bios set to auto go figure) now thats a little high wouldnt you agree considering it only needs 1.22v to run? so seeing that it was overpowered i lowered to 1.27v before cpu-z which shows 1.22 and its stable and running great and this is even overclocked from 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz. with that explained/said the temp dramatically dropped from 67-70C idle to 52-54C idle (at 3.6GHz remember) so would you say thats ok temps to use the pc normally? the highest ive seen it go was after a 3dmark06 run and the temp was 63-65C. id say thats way better than what it was yesterday and alot safer. but i would still like to hear from you, thanks for all your help.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
That voltage is/was WAY to high. I mentioned that as a potential issue above. Sounds like when you overclocked you have the voltage set to auto. Download coretemp/realtemp and find out your processors VID, then go into the BIOS and set it to that.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
the bios has always shown the vid at 1.22v. i did manage to lower temps but now for some reason none of my programs will run for longer than 1 min or so, everytime i try to run 3dmark06 it starts the first gpu test and runs for about 50 seconds then it quits with windows saying the program has stopped working. why? is my cpu unstable?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well you have overclocked from the stock 3.0ghz, so the stock 1.22v is not enough. Raise it by 1 incriment, save, then stress in windows. Repeat until its prime stable for at the very least 1 hour. Smallffts in Prime95 and make sure you have round off checking ON, so it will shut down cores if they error out.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
well as of right now the cpu is at 3.5GHz running at 1.24v (from cpu-z) and that made it through a full 3dmark06 test that actually surprised me with the score but yeah it ran 3dmark06 all the way through and the highest temp after was 70C. i think that would be ok how about you? id like 3.6GHz but i dont want to raise the volts/temp much more until i get my new pc case next week (airflow). idle temps still are 53-55C.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
It may be stable for that, but those temps are still extremely high and right on the border of the limit. I just would not toss out that issue simply because it "works". People do not run their dual cores at 60c idle and 70c under load. Its going to be dead in about a year.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
well ive done all i can think of to lower the temps, i fell better that i got it to idle at 53-55C instead of the 65-68C it was doing yesterday. i replaced the thermal paste 6 times, opened the case and left it open (didnt make a bit of difference) and now i ordered a new case because this one just doesnt have good airflow. it only has 3 fans and i think thats the max it can hold, the new case im getting next week can hold 8 fans and 5 will be 140mm and 2 will be 120mm (the 8th fan goes behind the cpu motherboard socket if that makes sense) but i didnt order a 80mm fan. here's the case im getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2908

i really think airflow in the current case (3 fans) isnt helping me at all, there will eventually be a new pc in the new case i bought but i have to upgrade slowly. when i get the case im taking everything im using now and putting it in there but next month im changing the cpu and cpu hsf and so on and so forth. so in a few months i wont actually be using anything im using right now except the 2x 9800gtx. but i really appreciate all your help/info, your truly knowledgeable of all thing cpu lol, thanks

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
throw the stock cooler in the trash. there are plenty of good aftermarket coolers that don't break the bank that do superb compared to stock cooling.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

i know, my poison of choice is the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. that thing is the greatest.