Anyone with i7 920 stable @ 4 GHz?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Hey. I've been doing some more actual in depth research on i7 overclocking to see why the x20 CPU Multiplier doesn't work too well. I have decided on BCLK @ 200*19 for a final speed of 3.8 GHz and Uncore @ x16 and QPI @ x18 and RAM at x8. I tried to clock my CPU up to 210*19 for 4005 MHz, but I got the BSOD code of 124, which according to others on Overclock.net, means turn up the voltage. 1.35 V didn't work and my Xiggy can't take any more heat, sadly. Anyone running water cooling or have a D0 chip have better results?

Here are the links I'm referring to.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-4-a.html

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3495431&postcount=877

Solution
The Swiftech MCR rads are the bomb for price and performance. There are better but not by a lot when better is double the price. Look at the NEW Swiftech rad/res/pump setup. VERY nice and makes for a clean setup. Not everyone sells it. Go to the ST page direct. I have seen them at a PC show recently. Still, you want the quitest rig you can get? Then you get a better rad than the Swiftech.

The GTZ is a great block and a few C less than the XT. I just installed an XT over a GTZ and I got a bit better temps. Save a few $ and get the GTZ if you want.

There are only two pumps we recommend anymore for a top loop. The MCP 655 and the DDC3.2.(5). Both made by Laing and rebadged by many WC places.

MCP655 is the D5, it has...

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
LOTS of watercoolers run above 4.0. Of course it depends on the chip and mobo too. But over 4.0 under water is pretty common. Of course the watercooling will cost $300 or so for a CPU loop for that.

XS is your best place for info for sure, world class overclockers hang there.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I do like XS and overclock.net a lot. $300 for a CPU loop seems low. I am still checking out the best parts to buy. I hate buyer's remorse. I considered the HWL SR1 then saw the review on Skinnee Labs and the difference between that and the Swiftech MCR320QP was very small. Half the price and not much of a performance loss. I can deal with that. Also, do you have any personal experience with the Switftech GTZ of XT? I've read reviews on both and the temps on the GTZ seem to be within 3-5 C of the XT for $30 cheaper. Hardest thing I have to consider is the pump. I'm not too sure on them except everyone says the Laing D5 is the way to go. Is a variable speed pump worth it? or does a fixed power give you the same 1.5 G/m? That $300 isn't much if I can run my CPU at or around 4 Ghz with decent temps.

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Is it really worth the trouble? I'm also running my i7 920 D0 at 3.8GHz (200x19, 1.2V), and it gain very little from 3.6GHz in every benchmark I try. I understand you want to push the system as far as you are comfortable with, that's why I'm running at 3.8GHz instead of 3.6GHz.

Now you plan to spend $200 or more on water cooling, so I hope you are serious about your hardware tests, and will overclock over 4200 for daily use. Otherwise you may feel buyers remorse about any water cooling solution you pick.

For daily use the i7 920 is hardly at 100% on every core at any time like Prime95 does. If you want to see your daily use temperatures make Real Temp log the CPU use and each core temperature. I did it after seeing my i7 reach 73ºC while running Prime95 and Furmark at once. While running real life applications I found out that my CPU never crossed 50% use or 55ºC on a single core. The applications I ran were GTA IV, Dirt 2, Crysis Warhead, and some background applications using no more than 1% CPU for the most part. Your experience will vary.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The Swiftech MCR rads are the bomb for price and performance. There are better but not by a lot when better is double the price. Look at the NEW Swiftech rad/res/pump setup. VERY nice and makes for a clean setup. Not everyone sells it. Go to the ST page direct. I have seen them at a PC show recently. Still, you want the quitest rig you can get? Then you get a better rad than the Swiftech.

The GTZ is a great block and a few C less than the XT. I just installed an XT over a GTZ and I got a bit better temps. Save a few $ and get the GTZ if you want.

There are only two pumps we recommend anymore for a top loop. The MCP 655 and the DDC3.2.(5). Both made by Laing and rebadged by many WC places.

MCP655 is the D5, it has built in 1/2 barbs and comes in a vario and fixed (B version) speeds. The fixed runs at a speed of 4, the vario runs faster on 5.

DDC3.2 is the MCP 355. Smallish barbs (3/8"). The performance is almost as good as the D5, but slap a aftermarket top on it, use 1/2 OD barbs and it's the best you can get. I use the XSPC restop on both of my DDC3.2 pumps.

Lastly, getting 1.5 GPM is up to you. You have stoopid amounts of hose, Mobo blocks, GPU blocks, flow meters etc you probably won't get 1.5 GPM.

Here is a summary I wrote at the place you should ask watercooling questions. Few watercoolers here.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6332602&postcount=4

And Envolva is perfectly correct in everything he says. Really! WC is fun and you get gains. The cost is LOTS more. If your a set it and forget it kinda guy, then top air is fine. You want to tinker and make it pretty cool looking? WC all the way!

IMG_0459.jpg

Solution

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

I appreciate both of your comments. Air cooling just doesn't cut it when ambient is around 70-75C. I also don't think I'll be able to clock my CPU as high on air as water. A $300 water cooling loop isn't too expensive and the benefits are great. I do like the MCP 655 pump so I'll most likely get that with a GTZ CPU block, MCR320QP and a bay reservoir.
So $80 for the pump, $50 for the GTZ CPU block, $55 for the Rad, $20 for a reservoir and some Tygon tubing with PT Nuke and it's well under $300. The MCR320QP seemed to do just fine with 1000-1200 RPM fans. Now I just gotta chop up my P182 to make it all fit after I order.

I didn't see the Rad/Res/Pump combo on Swiftech's website. Can you provide a link. It looks cool and relatively simple, not that it's always better simple.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

The pump part can be replaced. Only the chassis of the pump (replaced by most for better flow rates etc all the time) is connected to the rad. It DOESN't go bad unless you got stoopid and run it dry. The part on the rad is rated like all other laing PC watercooling pumps for 50,000 hours. So unless you plan to keep the rad for 5+ years you got no worries.

The pump is still rated for 50,000 hours, it's the same pump, just different head section.

So, your going on info you just don't know. I have met the CEO of Swiftech and chatted with him about the new rad and been at this a lot longer than you. Good stuff. Seen his posts and action for over two years. He's on top of issues on Xtreme Forums and seen him PM his personal cell to help a problem.

Still, I agree with your point. In your case, you are more comfortable with a seperate solution, then go for it. If I was new and wanted a 90% rad solution with it all built in, knowing what I know now, I'd go with his solution in a heatbeat. He's amazing for customer service and feedback on making his stuff better.

dpizzle1968

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009

I'm at 3990MHz, bclk @ 190, i7 920, Asus P6T on air using this guide:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html