CodeZion

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hi,

I have an HP HP Pavilion a6700z series. It was purchased only a few months ago. Last week, when I plugged it, I get the bios screen (or rather the blue HP flash screen) with some horizontal black screen and nothing happens - FREEZE! I cannot even press F2 or any key (keyboard or mouse light do not come one). Pressing keys on the keyboard does not result in beeping sounds either. If you leave it, it will just stay on the bios screen forever - no sound, no hard drive activity, no nothing! I am afraid my motherboard has croaked but I cannot think of why! Also, is my assessment correct or is there something else I can do (such as update the bios - although I cannot think of how to do this without any of my IO working.

Last night, I tried to reset the motherboard by removing the on board battery. Once I removed and replaced the batter, now turning on the power does not even bring up the screen - just dead!!! The power turns on (CPU and power fan run etc. and power led stays lighted), but there is no display or anything else).

Please help! Any ideas are most welcome!

Thank you,

You can try a different power supply. Or, use the hp online tech support and request an rma. Do not tell any hp representative that you've opened the case and tried to fix it yourself. Simply give them the current symptoms, and they will give you some instructions to try before issuing an rma. It's a pain, but if you want them to honor the warranty, I would take the time and try it, instead of fixing it yourself.