Sign in with
Your question

E8500 running at 1.58 ghz?

Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2008 4:38:24 AM

so i have a problem
i have an e8500 in a msi x38 platinum motherboard with 2 gbs of ddr3 which was running smooth for a month
but out of nowhere it started to run all slow
so i checked cpuid and it said my cpu was a 1.58 ghz?
i'v updated the bios before i bought the cpu cleared the cmos over and over what could be wrong?
i even took back the cpu to the store and got another one but nothing!
is my motherboard on it's last limbs?
if anyone can help that would be great!

More about : e8500 running ghz

December 30, 2008 4:49:15 AM

reading it from the bios it says multiplier is at 9.5 and 1333 fsb
but from cpuid it's multiplier is at 6 and fsb 666
my power supply is 500 watts could be the mobo i'm hopeing not
but i have that ecs board that came with it i'll try that
thanks!
Related resources
December 30, 2008 4:58:28 AM

Quote:
hmph, i have a similar problem with ntune misreading my multiplier at 4x on a amd 9500, take a check with another program, try downloading ntune and see what it says.

It could be booting properly but when you go into windows your other hardware takes too much power? whats your PSU? and what other hardware?

500 watt antec psu
wd 500 gb sata hardrive
8500gt
2 dvd burners
2 gbs of ddr3 1066 fsb
December 30, 2008 5:10:24 AM

cpu is at 33c / 93f
yea it's the samething as cpuz i'll download ntune right now
December 30, 2008 5:15:34 AM

windows says its ruuning at 3.17 ghz but i went to the cyrsis web site and it says i'm running at 1.6
thanks! anyhow well it more or less a mother board fry
December 30, 2008 5:22:23 AM

ntune says the samething as cpuid idk i'll try another mother board tomarrow
December 30, 2008 5:24:43 AM

thanks!
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2008 5:27:40 AM

There is a setting in your BIOS that lets the CPU drop its multiplier to 6 when it isn't under load. When you hit it with a load it should immediately jump the multiplier to 9.5.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2008 5:29:32 AM

Quote:
hmph maybe not enough power from psu? could be that or mobo

It either is enough or it fails burn in tests or shuts down the system (overload) - PSU my a$$

GOOGLE INTEL SPEEDSTEP TECHNOLOGY

also since its a rubbish motherobard (aka "MSI") dont trust anything it set's with "auto", CONFIGURE EVERYTHING MANUALLY
December 30, 2008 5:30:13 AM

how do i hit it? like
run a game?
December 30, 2008 5:38:47 AM

yea didnt know about msi being trash untill i bought my buddy had one said it was good
now cpuid says my multiplier is at 9.5 but the fsb is the same
December 30, 2008 5:40:11 AM

forget about using ntune on a intel chipset, it's for nvidia. check to see in bios if you have speedstep enabled?
December 30, 2008 5:43:42 AM

holy sweet jebus, 20 replies and one one guy brought up speedstep..

EVERY INTEL CPU SINCE PENTIUM 4, HAS SPEED STEP, WHEN THE CPU DOESN'T NEED TO RUN AT FULL SPEED IT DOWN CLOCKS TO "SAVE POWER"

AKA it lowers the multiplier from 9.5 to 6..and its not your motherboard.

seesh sorry for the caps but this question is posted like 4 times a day.

to make this even eaiser

1.From CPU-Z Website:

Q: CPU-Z reports my CPU speed below its stock frequency.
A: This is the effect of the CPU power reduction mechanism : C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and/or EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) for Intel CPUs, Cool'n'Quiet and or PowerNow! for AMD CPUs. Load your system and you will see the frequency increase to its nominal value.

2. To enable/disable it, you need to enter the BIOS and go to Advanced BIOS Features and about halfway down the list you will see CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU EIST Function. Both are power saving features and are enabled by default.

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Note)
Enables or disables Intel� CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) function, a CPU power-saving function in system halt state. When enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption. (Default: Enabled)

CPU EIST Function (Note)
Enables or disables Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST). Depending on CPU loading, Intel� EIST technology can dynamically and effectively lower the CPU voltage and core frequency to decrease average power consumption and heat production. (Default: Enabled)

3. I leave them on anyways, even O/Ced..no point in having my Q6600 run at 3.6ghz when im out and about or its just downloading/running anti-virus ect ect...

Seriously we should sticky an explanation on top of the Overclocking and CPU board about SpeedStep.. nm it is >_<

oh btw thanks for the -1 on the comment (seriously?) glad i could help the dude instead of being misinformed and telling him to go get another Motherboard and having the same problem...

December 30, 2008 6:04:30 AM

thanks man i'll try that so what your saying if i play a game like fallout 3 it'll kick start my cpu? like that other guy said hit it"?
thanks again!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2009 2:46:56 AM

hastati said:
yea didnt know about msi being trash untill i bought my buddy had one said it was good
now cpuid says my multiplier is at 9.5 but the fsb is the same

Everyones mate thinks something is good or bad - if we listened to them all we would still be using windows 98, intel branded motherboards and intel processors and crap like that - everyones "mates" deal with about 2 computers a year and think there king where as they have no idea how off they are, and like i said with MSI - when your dealing with hundreds of PC's you start to realise how poor there products are in general.
January 1, 2009 3:55:11 AM

the hell? everyones quoting this kevinmcg guy and not one of his posts in this thread? huh? has the thread somehow stuffed up and his posts gone or something?
January 1, 2009 4:22:30 AM

Not only that but the top post by the OP have been downranked. Wtf
January 1, 2009 3:47:29 PM

that guys most have deleted his post and downranked my post
because that other guy FatFunkey must have made him feel stupid idk... but still nothing works still running at 1.58 ghz this really sucks! if anyone out there can help !!! thanks i can't really afford a new mobo at this time wanted to upgrade to socket 1366 by the end of thsi year so i'll be stuck with this untill then!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2009 5:22:21 AM

hastati said:
that guys most have deleted his post and downranked my post
because that other guy FatFunkey must have made him feel stupid idk... but still nothing works still running at 1.58 ghz this really sucks! if anyone out there can help !!! thanks i can't really afford a new mobo at this time wanted to upgrade to socket 1366 by the end of thsi year so i'll be stuck with this untill then!

SET EVERYTHING MANUALLY

i gave you all the info you needed in my previous post :ange: 

if you do the math, your running your cpu at EXACTLY half your stock full clock speed - as i said above set that FSB and multi MANUALLY to the correct settings - 1333 for FSB (or 333 QDR), 9.5x multi etc - you, or MSI have set it to (by the sounds of it) 667 (or 166 QDR) etc.
January 2, 2009 7:26:03 AM

yeah i still don't get that... shouldnt it be 333FSB and 1333 QDR? if its quad pumped data rate it should be 4 times faster not 4 times slower lol
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2009 7:40:26 AM

V3NOM said:
yeah i still don't get that... shouldnt it be 333FSB and 1333 QDR? if its quad pumped data rate it should be 4 times faster not 4 times slower lol

333 QDR or in other words 333 x 4 (quad) - you know what i mean.
!