Peltiers (Pros vs Cons)

ejf28

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Just wanted some people's inputs on the pros and cons to a peltier. I've heard with a water cooled system and a peltier that sub zero temps are easily reached. However I also heard that when the cpu is put under any load the temps will be greater than an initially fan cooled or liquid cooled computer (like 50 C or so).

Alot of people complain about the wattage needed to run a peltier as well but I have seen them from around 75 watts to around 1000, the wattage determining how cold you can get but also if your system can't handle a 1000 watt peltier then obviously get a smaller wattage. This makes me wonder how effective are the low ones.

And the final thought is the condensation issue. I have heard both things like "the condensation will destroy your computer" and also that it is perfectly safe when properly insulated. Not sure which is more true or anything.

So basiaclly if anyone has any input or is curious to things I am too, maybe even if a kit is avaialble out there, then please give a responce.

Thank you.

I hear that peltiers can have a high rate of failure. (not sure never did it myself) There are some nice prebuit kits from CoolIT that combine water cooling and peltier tech to get sub ambient temps. But if your looking to go below zero you will need a phase change setup. Honestly you won't see to much benefit over a good water cooling setup unless you live somewhere hot IMO.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=185

Freezone Elite CPU Chiller is the only one I'd get for TEC. They discontinued the older non-Elite which was the best bang for $150 refurb with 1 year warranty (same as new). In one of my friends' pc, his Q6600 reached 11C something with a modded Freezone. It was causing condensation all over the cpu & pelter blocks.

Watercooling is the most efficient in terms of power consumption. However, the initial investment on a good DIY H2O kit can be as high as $300. Most of them prebuilt kits cool a bit better than the high-end air coolers.

ejf28

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I guess in my opinion peltiers are a relatively cheap way to achieve the sub zero temps since a 200 something one is like 30 bucks, a relay switch is next to nothing, and another power supply or upgrading the power current is prob the most expensive part.

I like the idea of a peltier and find it pretty simple as long as you use common sense when hooking it up. The only issue that concerns me is the condensation factor. I have heard of people using different stuff to cover their motherboard or select areas in like the pin holes. I really really hate this idea because I dont want a bunch of gunk on my motherboard at all... Is there any other better solution to solve the insulation part without painting your computer with gunk? lol

I guess one of the main reasons I have been looking into peltiers might be from my own liquid cooling systems inefficiency... I really wish there was more help out there for narrowing down heat bottle necks for a liquid cooling system.. I mean I understand the loop and whatnot fine but my temps are still quite a bit above room temp and that makes me unsatisfied.