Your question

Asus P6T Deluxe V2?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Reviews
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 3, 2009 4:47:26 PM

I am wondering which online shop I can find this board? Does anyone know when exactly this board will be released? I'm holding out for the V2 board, as reading the Newegg.com customer feedback reviews on the P6T Deluxe board reveal a lot of problems.

Thanks.

More about : asus p6t deluxe

February 4, 2009 1:47:55 AM

One U.S. vendor told me "second week of February." I have seen a couple of International sites showing availability of 2/10 or 2/11. Take that for what it's worth.
February 4, 2009 1:21:03 PM

A lot of people have been posting outrage at the V2's unavailability despite not purchasing a V1 board. Most of those with negative reviews received a defective board, you'd be hard pressed to find someone with a working P6T Deluxe that isn't satisfied. I understand the frustration because I was in the same situation, buy a V1 now or wait for the V2. As of yet, I haven't been disappointed with my V1.
Related resources
February 4, 2009 2:49:14 PM

I know what you mean, you're right. What annoys me is this sales & marketing *game* Asus is playing, as well as online vendors. They know if they release the V2 now, no-one or a small amount of people will buy the current V1 model any more, so they're milking it as long as possible.

It's a bit like what Intel did with their processors years ago, may still be doing it, they had the technology of later processors way in advance, but didn't release them right away in order to get the masses to buy what was perceived to be their "current" technology to sponge as much money as possible.

I find it hard to believe Asus is going through the expense to bring out a new revision of this board which to all intents and purposes looks like a new model, *just* to remove the Marvell SAS controller, can't this controller be disabled in the BIOS? There has to be something else they changed, and I don't expect a company like Asus to reveal anything.

I understand the outrage. For myself I'm trying to hold off as long as possible for the V2 board, but as you've noticed, a lot of people have posted problems with the V1, especially in Newegg.com customer feedback. I wonder why so many boards appear to be defective?
February 4, 2009 6:08:45 PM

I agree with you, Asus needs to be more forthcoming with what is going on here. It is hard to swallow that they are just removing the SAS controller, but looking at the PCB's of the two, they are identical, save for the removal of said controller. The removal will save them a little money on manufacturing, they aren't going to start a fresh prefab, they are just modifying the existing one. As long as no major flaws with V1 are discovered (they likely would have been by now, they've been getting abused for months by benchmarkers/enthusiasts/overclockers), and BIOS updates continue for both versions of the board, I won't fuss.
February 4, 2009 6:18:36 PM

That's true, the V1 board has been getting kicked around for a while now. They're not admitting something, all that time, energy and money just to remove a Marvell chip? Why not tell people just to disable it in the BIOS? Why go to the great lengths to physically remove it?

I asked Newegg.com when they expect to get the V2 boards, initially I got a canned response saying the board is not on their web-site, *obviously* it isn't as that is why I'm inquiring! I asked them again and I got this:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

I am sorry about that. I did read your question. However, we currently do not have any information on the availability of this item. We will post this item on our website if or when it becomes available. Every product we carry is listed on our website, pricing and availability posted in real time. Please check all prices and availability at www.newegg.com for our most up-to-date status. That is why I recommended you to leave your suggestion. Again, I apologize for this inconvenience.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still need assistance, please feel free to email me directly and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Venson Chen
"

Another more or less useless reply, retailers as large as Newegg must know whether they plan to order it from Asus or not, especially since a container over the ocean from Asia takes around three weeks. Not to mention the time taken to order it and provide payment.

On one hand I think "Wait for the newer board, a newer revision in theory means less problems", but on the other hand I think "Forget waiting, the V1 board is being tried and tested with BIOS updates building up, just buy that". I'll wait another week, if the V2 isn't out, I'll grab the V1.

Oh and I try not to use Newegg, everyone raves about Newegg, but customers like myself in California have to pay sales tax and sometimes ridiculous shipping ($7 for a $10 Xigmatek Crossbow, and I live 30 miles from Newegg!). I try to use Amazon, no tax and mostly free shipping. Unlike Newegg, if I have to return it, Amazon provides a prepaid return shipping label.
February 4, 2009 6:50:29 PM

From what I've read, the Marvel SAS controller is buggy, it would probably need to be replaced with a different SAS controller to fix the issues they are having. Doing so would require quite a bit of BIOS work and re-engineering, costing them alot of money. Simply cutting it out saves them time & money. It's just a shame that they are most likely sitting on the release until the stocks of V1 boards are all sold, leaving NewEgg and the other retailers to look like the bad guys.
February 12, 2009 2:16:38 AM

V2 is avaliable at bzboyz.com and partspc.com. Price is $329. I thought it will be cheaper.
February 12, 2009 2:33:04 AM

Actually the V2 is $310 on both of those sites you listed, the V1 is listed at $330. So it is, in fact, cheaper. I'm sure the price will be lower once NewEgg gets them in stock (since the V1 is $300 @ NewEgg currently, the V2 will likely be ~ $280).
February 13, 2009 1:51:32 AM

tnagy said:
V2 is avaliable at bzboyz.com and partspc.com. Price is $329. I thought it will be cheaper.

FWIW, I think bzboyz.com and partspc.com are the same company. They both have the same street address.
February 13, 2009 5:15:41 AM

pmokover said:
FWIW, I think bzboyz.com and partspc.com are the same company. They both have the same street address.

Yes, the Walnut/Rowland Heights area in CA. Both are about 40 miles from me, although I'll be waiting for Amazon.com to get them in, no tax and free shipping. Amazon.com return policies are less strict than Newegg's.
February 14, 2009 1:09:51 AM

I hope that v2 will be without problems.
February 14, 2009 5:22:44 AM

What problems have you had with the V1?
February 14, 2009 8:31:02 PM

scrumhalf said:
What problems have you had with the V1?

DOA
February 14, 2009 8:44:19 PM

tnagy said:
DOA

DOA? I'd just send it right back in that case. By the way, I'd avoid Bzboys, their Resellerratings is hardly anything to gloat about. I'll wait until Amazon, Newegg or MWave.com has this board, at least their customer service is better.
February 15, 2009 12:33:34 AM

DOA isn't the fault of the model, any component can be DOA. DOA is usually the result of poor handling during shipping, not poor manufacturing.

aln688 said:
DOA? I'd just send it right back in that case. By the way, I'd avoid Bzboys, their Resellerratings is hardly anything to gloat about. I'll wait until Amazon, Newegg or MWave.com has this board, at least their customer service is better.

Exactly right, and NewEgg/Amazon/MWave prices will be lower as well.
February 15, 2009 2:18:44 AM

scrumhalf said:
DOA isn't the fault of the model, any component can be DOA. DOA is usually the result of poor handling during shipping, not poor manufacturing.

Exactly right, and NewEgg/Amazon/MWave prices will be lower as well.

Absolutely, a DOA item is a random event due to mishandling prior or during shipping, not common for every single part of a particular make and model.

Correct, the prices of Amazon, Newegg and MWave will be lower as they are more likely to buy in bulk, larger bulk than smaller online shops. Bzboys has the V2 for $310, I mean even Newegg advertises the V1 for $299 which *has* the SAS controller on it! Why Bzboys charges $10 more for a model of the P6T Deluxe with less on it, is a mystery.

I'm hoping Amazon or Newegg's suppply of V1 boards runs out soon, then maybe they'll order the V2. :) 
February 18, 2009 9:26:58 PM

If DOA is random event, check negative feedback on newegg. Something is wrong with this board.
February 18, 2009 11:38:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with this board, I've built two systems with it. I read all 20 pages of comments on New Egg before I bought it. Once again, damage from shipping has nothing to do with the design/engineering/manufacturing of the board. If you look at just the 1 egg reviews, 90% of them are people who either didn't buy the board and are complaining about the V2 not being available, people who have a problem with Asus Customer Support, fan boys of other brands, or don't know what they're doing and made no attempt to resolve what is likely a hardware conflict.

That being said, it seems that Asus's Customer Support is not up to snuff, and that is a valid gripe. That is not indicative of there being a problem with all P6T Deluxe boards however.

Every major review site has given this board solid reviews. Who are you going to listen to, the professionals, or people posting fake reviews about a board they didn't buy or don't know how to setup? (Disclaimer, I'm not an Asus fan boy, I just like good hardware. This motherboard is a piece of great hardware.)
February 19, 2009 12:35:36 AM

I'm waiting for my 2nd board. I hope this one will be fine. Thanks for post.
February 19, 2009 1:18:58 AM

I also think Asus customer service is terrible, in fact customer service from computer-hardware related companies in general is terrible, except maybe Intel and Antec. I had an Asus video card that went faulty a week after I got it, lines and dots all over the screen, THREE TIMES I had to send it to their repair facility in Indiana before it worked. It's shameful, why even bother offering customer support. Their customer support is slow, sloppy and inefficient.

I agree, the V1 board has no faults, Anandtech gave it thumbs up in fact. It's just for me I have no use for a SAS controller and if I can get the newest revision board, I'll try. As stated, I think during shipping, the carriers are less than careful throwing boxes around, and quite possibly the handlers at the vendor's warehouse. Of course I should mention the possibility of the vendor shipping out pre-sold or open-box parts when they should be shipping out new. Newegg and MWave are guilty of this on numerous occasions.

I found the Asus P6T Deluxe V2, here. I've actually pre-ordered it and should ship this week.
February 19, 2009 3:41:31 AM

I'm actually a bit nervous about this as I'm building my rig right now.

Normally, I wouldn't mind the negative reviews for reasons stated above, but they seem to be piling up on newegg at an alarming rate.

I do consider myself open minded, but I'm not going to attribute every negative review to poor shipping. If that were the case than **** whoever newegg uses because that would be unacceptable.

If anyone were a bit nervous to pull the trigger, what would be a good 2nd recommendation? It's good to have one, anyway. So if what I said above gets anyone all hot and bothered, just pretend I'm asking for a second recommendation just because.
February 19, 2009 2:39:41 PM

@ Tnagy, hope everything works out for you with the 2nd board, let us know!

@aln688, in my experience, I would agree, most hardware vendors have poor support. A few exceptions from my experience, OCZ and EVGA have excellent support, and BFG is so-so (still better than Asus). OCZ and EVGA have great support communities backing them (and they make great products), and are usually very helpful and quick with the RMA process. Again, these statements are based on my experiences, yours may vary, but I've dealt with most of the hardware vendors at least once.

@TheGuitarist, I wouldn't be worried about picking up this board, as I've said, it's fantastic. To answer your question though, other boards worth recommending:
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1, or the Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme.
February 19, 2009 3:11:32 PM

Well I'll be perfectly honest, reading Newegg's section here, on the Asus P6T Deluxe is certainly scary! I just read a lot of the comments and the majority of problems fall under these:

(1) Fails to post, lights come on, fans start up, but never starts
(2) BIOS fails to lose date/time
(3) DOA, which is similar to (1) above

One review I read stated "I managed to kill the bios by running the windows bios update utility and then falling asleep on my computer", I mean you have to question the source in a case like this.

Some comments I read simply stated it doesn't work and RMA'ing it, which isn't helpful at all. I can quite imagine you get people using a lower-powered PSU, incorrect or incompatible RAM (not on the QVL for example) or not making sure their CPU HSF is properly seated.

Some of the more descript negative comments I saw are:

"Board posted into the Bios config utility the first time. Used USB key and EZ Flash utility to put latest BIOS on. Loaded successfully, rebooted, and received "USB overvolt error", board shut down automatically."

"The board won't post, no matter what I do... At least I got it off newegg and they are good about RMAs"

"Did not work out of the box. MB turned on all LED lights, fans and internal power switches but never got to post."

"Received mine with a manufacturing defect which does not allow the CPU load plate to be closed flush while the CPU is in the socket. Got an RMA from NewEgg, and am now waiting on a new one."

"There is apparently a problem with this board. The asus forums list numerous instances where the board will not post. The fans start but there is no post. If the cmos battery is removed the board will then post and operate normally. I changed the battery, changed the power supply and memory to no avail. Updated the bios-same result. Have been checking online each day, but no fix has been posted."

"I also worried about buying this board based on the negative reviews. I should have listened. Spent an hour getting it setup. Hit the power button - the lights come on and the fans spin up, but it won't even POST. Now I have to take it all apart, pay to ship it back, wait for Newegg to get another one out and then roll the dice and try again."

"After the system crashed, it won't post and I can't seem to get help from ASUS at all. I have swapped out CPU, video cards, ram, PSU, and none of them have made changes."

"First thing, and the most major con is that it did not work right out of the box. I had 6GB (3x2GB) in it and it would not boot. No beeps and no display. But the fans were spinning, lights were on, hard drives were spinning, etc. After much troubleshooting and then web surfing, this is a known problem that Asus is not addressing."

"CMOS loses settings if power is cut to the board. Always loses the time. Occasionally all settings are lost."

"Had to return the first board due to instabilities in which the board would lose BIOS settings (similar to the problem reported by other reviewers). I dislike the placement of the on-board battery, which does not appear solid and which I suspect is the cause of the BIOS problem."

The list goes on. However there are an equal or more number of people reporting success with this board. The DOA I can quite imagine if someone were to sit the board on the carpet or their bed where static builds up, therefore shorting the board. As for not posting, that's an odd situation, I suppose if the board wasn't getting enough power or had incompatible RAM in the RAM slots, that may cause post to stop.

I wouldn't be too worried for anyone with doubts. If you're careful about:
(1) Where you sit the board before it makes it into your case
(2) Make sure the CPU is seated correctly with a thin layer of thermal compound
(3) Use RAM from the Asus QVL
(4) Use a sufficiently large PSU
(5) Make sure the pins on the board's CPU socket aren't bent, same goes for the power button pins on the board.

...the board should be fine. Basically all the common sense steps to be taken when building the PC.
February 19, 2009 4:24:29 PM

I understand what everyone is saying. It's just that being new, I'm in a position where I more or less have to take everyone's word for it. Also being new, it may be that a large amount of negative reviews on newegg are more common than I think? It's just that I haven't SEEN anything quite like that proportion-wise, and it's enough to give me pause. Having said that, I'm aware of the considerably good reputation ASUS has. Minus the kinks, that board seems to be golden, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the other recommendations.
February 19, 2009 4:50:44 PM

I can tell you that this board was one of the easiest builds to put together, that I can remember. The only difficulty is the CPU retention mechanism (which will be similar on all 1366 sockets), which feels like the lever is going to break before it locks. It won't. As far as building an X58 system, I would also highly recommend RAM with XMP, as this will greatly simplify having to adjust RAM settings. In fact, cheap/incompatible RAM is something that accounts for a great deal of issues when building with a new platform.
February 20, 2009 1:21:04 PM

V2 is for sale on newegg. Maybe I should return v1 and get v2? What are you guys think?
February 20, 2009 1:30:20 PM

I haven't used the V2 yet, so I don't know what to tell you. My gut says it will be just as good as the V1 minus the SAS + SATA simultaneous RAID issue. If you are patient enough to exchange your board go for it. If you're itching like an addict to build your Core i7 (I sure was), keep the V1.
February 20, 2009 2:04:25 PM

It depends. Are you still in the build stage? Or have you built your system, closed the case and are using it? I would say if you haven't yet installed your CPU and really want to try the latest, swap your board for the V2 model.

I got notification my V2 has shipped by Motherboard Pro, which I mainly ordered to avoid paying tax. I didn't know Newegg has it. For the RAM, I order this, Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB, C8, on Amazon.com. This RAM is on the Asus QVL list.

I'll let you know my impressions of the board when it arrives.
February 20, 2009 2:21:07 PM

NewEgg just added it today (or last night perhaps), since it wasn't up there yesterday morning.
February 20, 2009 2:25:11 PM

I see, yes, I have the Newegg page open now for this.

If anyone has any doubts about switching from their V1 to the V2, you could wait a week for the reviews to pile up on Newegg and see what the initial reaction is. Of course I'll also post my reaction of the board once I've built my system.

I'm still trying to choose between a drive cage for my Lian-Li or use the hard-drive rack built-in.
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2009 3:26:59 PM

If anyone with a working V1 wants to switch to a V2, they are insane.

Honestly, it's an excellent board, and to buy a new board for $300 because a new revision out would be ridiculous (Yes, I am a very satisfied V1 customer).
February 20, 2009 3:31:11 PM

Well, it's a fact that some people want the "latest and greatest". It is an excellent board but obviously some people do have problems with it. But if their V1 is working fine and don't care about the latest revision, then there isn't any reason to switch.
February 20, 2009 4:36:58 PM

To take something that works and switch it for negligible gains IS silly, that is correct.
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2009 9:48:55 PM

aln688 said:
Well, it's a fact that some people want the "latest and greatest". It is an excellent board but obviously some people do have problems with it. But if their V1 is working fine and don't care about the latest revision, then there isn't any reason to switch.

If they want the latest and greatest to the extent that they would pay $300 for that small quantity of changes, they are also they kind of person who wouldn't have a P6T deluxe in the first place - they'd have a Rampage II Extreme.
March 6, 2009 7:53:33 AM

Well I just returned a V2 because it would not properly shutdown and re-start from Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

The symptoms were:
1) on shutdown out of Vista the system would appear to shutdown (i.e. blank video screen) but the power would still be on with fans spinning, etc
2) the system would properly shutdown but then it would not re-boot when the power switch was pressed again (either right away or waiting a while, to waiting overnight). I had to press the reset and power switches several times before the motherboard would boot, and then it would complain that Windows had not been previously shutdown properly.

I made sure to not load any of the Asus supplied SW since there's been complaints about these utilities loading some sort of "Asus ACPI" driver that has been suspected as the culprit of these types of problems. I also tried all different BIOS settings including disabling/enabling Express Gate, I re-installed Vista several times and always the same types of failures. Not sure were to go next since I really needed an i7 MB that had a PCIE Gen 1 x4 slot for my 3Ware RAID controller and this is the only i7 MB I know of that supplied this. :cry: 

March 7, 2009 1:46:35 PM

After several days of additional debug I've determined that the problem is not with the Asus P6T V2 motherboard after all. I reconfigured the system to boot off a single SATA drive off the ICH10 and there were no issues powering up/down. However when I booted off a system RAID disk array off my Areca ARC-1212 the system would not Wake-up properly after being put to Sleep (i.e. Suspend to RAM). So it appears that the problem lies with Vista 64-bit Ultimate not playing well with the Areca ARC-1212 RAID controller. This is not that big an issue for me because the power Shutdown and Power-up works fine, it's just Sleep mode that has problems.
March 10, 2009 5:31:13 PM

gatorbill said:
After several days of additional debug I've determined that the problem is not with the Asus P6T V2 motherboard after all. I reconfigured the system to boot off a single SATA drive off the ICH10 and there were no issues powering up/down. However when I booted off a system RAID disk array off my Areca ARC-1212 the system would not Wake-up properly after being put to Sleep (i.e. Suspend to RAM). So it appears that the problem lies with Vista 64-bit Ultimate not playing well with the Areca ARC-1212 RAID controller. This is not that big an issue for me because the power Shutdown and Power-up works fine, it's just Sleep mode that has problems.

That's excellent news, I wonder if some people with V1's are having a similar problem? I.e. add-in cards not being compatible with the board? Either way it's good to hear it's possibly a driver problem, although I suppose it could be a compatibility problem with the board and your RAID card. My own V2 will be up and running very soon now.
March 10, 2009 5:43:25 PM

Yes, I've also found out that the Vista Start menu default "Sleep" button can be re-configured into being a "Shutdown" button. This was great for me because out of habit (in the XP this was a "Shutdown" button) I always shutdown the system by pressing this button and since it did not work when set as a "Sleep" button I would screw my system up. Now that I've reconfigured it into being a "Shutdown" button (like XP) I have no issues. To see how to do this go to the following link:

How to configure Vista Power Button to Shutdown
March 10, 2009 8:58:10 PM

gatorbill said:
Yes, I've also found out that the Vista Start menu default "Sleep" button can be re-configured into being a "Shutdown" button. This was great for me because out of habit (in the XP this was a "Shutdown" button) I always shutdown the system by pressing this button and since it did not work when set as a "Sleep" button I would screw my system up. Now that I've reconfigured it into being a "Shutdown" button (like XP) I have no issues. To see how to do this go to the following link:

How to configure Vista Power Button to Shutdown

Useful feature, nice. For me I'm an O.S. behind, I'm going to be using Windows XP Professional 64-bit, that should run like lightening on the Core i7 hardware. I don't have a RAID card, just two HDDs, one fast, one slower for storage. Thanks anyway for the tip.
!