No POST, No Beep

Silences444

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hello,

Just recently after shutting down my computer for the night I went to turn it on the next morning and nothing happened. I can see all the fan's spinning at full speed, the motherboard light goes from blue (standby) to red (in-use?) but after that, nothing else happens, no error beeps, no POST.

System Specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard
2x 1gb Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 RAM
BFG GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Seasonic 550W PSU

Background:

This problem has kind of been happening for awhile now, but each time before this after a few reboots or switching the PSU off and then on again (while computer was shutdown obviously) would result in the computer booting up and POSTing. As a result I tended to just leave my computer on for a few weeks as I was afraid when it did shutdown it wouldn't come back up, as it has now done, hehe. I don't think anything has over heated as I have very adequate cooling in the case.

Troubleshooting:

So far I have tried getting the computer to POST with just the CPU, PSU, Motherboard and 1 stick of RAM (tried both of my sticks to make sure one of them had not gone bad, so unless they both died at the same exact time, I don't think its the RAM). With just the RAM, CPU and PSU still no beep or error beeps. Everything spins up but that is all. I did get error beeps when I had plugged in my GPU and forgot to plug in the two 6-pin power connectors, so I know the error beeps work. I also reset the CMOS via the manuals instructions (taking out the battery, switching the jumper for 5 seconds then replacing it then the battery). One thing that has changed since I reset the CMOS is when I push the power button, the system turns on, then immediatly all the fans stop spinning, then 2 seconds later they all start up again. Is this the computer checking for new settings or something? I am worried I may have messed something up by resetting the CMOS.

So now I have ordered a new stick of RAM, just to be sure (was only $20) and am going to go get a multimeter to check the PSU connectors to make sure something isnt going wrong there.

Anyhow, any advice or idea's would be great, as I am getting more and more frustrated (I can usually figure out these problems)

Thanks!

scottyy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
k i have an asus p5ql pro, dunno the relation if any to your mobo BUT had same problem. it turned out for me that memory overclock charging was on and whenever i had that turned off i could post every time. (my boot problem was slightly different actually but same no post problem on reboot) so if your mobo has the option try disabling it. dunno if this will help at all but what the heck right?

With just the RAM, CPU and PSU still no beep or error beeps. Everything spins up but that is all. I did get error beeps when I had plugged in my GPU and forgot to plug in the two 6-pin power connectors, so I know the error beeps work.
No. THOSE beeps came from the video card, not the motherboard system speaker.

Try swapping the case power and reset switches. Not likely, but power switch could be bad.

Disconnect and remove everything from the motherboard except PSU and CPU - no RAM, video card, or drives. Boot. You should hear continuous long beeps - indicates memory problems. That is good.

Silence indicates bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or something shorted in the case.

If you get a multimeter, yellow wires should read 12 volts, red wires 5 volts, and orange wires 3.3 volts. The purple wire should read 5 volts and be on all the time.

The gray wire is important. It should go to more than 3.6 volts when the case power switch is pushed. If you do not get this output, the PSU is bad. You can have all the voltage outputs, but without this signal, the PC will not boot.

If you get the long beeps, install one memory stick. Boot. The beeps should change to one long and two or three short beeps - indicating a video problem. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out something. Test each stick of RAM.

If all the RAM is good, install the video card and plug in monitor. The system should POST successfully (one short beep)and you should see boot messages on the monitor. Silence indicates a problem with the video card.

Note that you do not need drives or keyboard to pass the POST.

Eddy1

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I have exactly the same problem with an ASUS P5BE-plus motherboard. My system has been running 2 year without problems, until now. It doesn't want to boot anymore, I get no beeps when starting.

I removed all components from the motherboard and kept just the CPU, then I get 3 short beeps (might also be 1 long and 2 short beeps) that repeats continuously.
When I add a stick of memory I get no beeps anymore but system doesn't post. I tested with each of the 4 sticks of ram separately.

I also did a clear of the cmos, this doesn' help neither.

Eddy1

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Did some further tests and found that I can boot the system correctly with one of the 4 memory modules I have.

Does it mean that the 3 other memory modules suddenly became defective or is it a problem with the motherboard ?

Is there a sure way to test if a memory module is defective ?