E8600 P5Q-Deluxe Overclocking Problem

Ward86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought components for a new computer and started to attempt my first overclock. From what I've read, a 4.0 Ghz overclock on an E8600 is almost automatic, with 4.4-4.5 being very achievable with most chips. Well, I can't get mine stable, even at 4.0. I did memtest and ran Prime95 for 20 hours on stock everything, no errors. I have tried two different kinds of RAM, both Mushkin and Patriot Viper PC8500 1066 2x2GB. I have been able to boot with a processor speed of up to 4.65, and able to boot at 4.5 with a VCore as low as 1.32 and as high as 1.36, and @ 4.0 with a VCore much lower. But stability is the issue. I can run Prime95 with small FFT's @ 4.4 Ghz and 1.36 VCore for 10 hours, but Large FFT's is the problem. I can't get it to pass Large FFT's any higher than 4.1 Ghz, and I get blue screens running FSX and just browsing the Web with iTunes @4.0, 1.33 VCore. the issue does not seem to be a FSB issue; I have been able to boot into Windows and function @ a 525 FSB. Most of my overclocking has been attempted with a x9 or x10 multiplier. I have been conscious of DRAM speed, testing it at well below stock speed, mostly between 900 and 1000. I measure CPU temps with Real-Temp, and they have been staying mostly below 60C under load, highest temp ever reached under load being 64, and staying mostly in the 54-58 range. BIOS is the most current one, 2301. Blue screens I get are mostly PAGE_FAULT_IN_NOT_PAGED_AREA and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, with a few others mixed in. I have been at this for awhile and have messed with a lot of things, including NB Voltage (trying 1.4 and 1.5), and DRAM voltage (setting to 2.1), and manually setting timings, at least the first part of them. I don't think I should be having this much difficulty, even with this being my first overclocking attempt. I believe all my main drivers are current, although if it was a hardware or driver issue, I would be getting instability even at stock settings, right? I'm hoping there is something I've overlooked, and somebody can point me in the direction. Here are my specs and BIOS settings:

Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM

Superclocked EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB Core 216

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700

Patriot Viper PC8500 1066 2x2GB

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600

Noctua NH-D14

And most recent BIOS settings resulting in BSOD:

AI Tweaker:
Ai overclock Tuner: manual
CPU ratio setting: 9.0
FSB frequency: 444
PCIE freq: 100
FSB strap to NB: Auto
DRAM freq: 889
everything Auto then
DRAM timing, Auto
DRAM static : Auto
DRAM read training: Auto
Ai Clock Twister: Auto
Ai Transaction booster: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.33125
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): Auto
CPU GTL (1/3): Auto
CPU PLL: Auto
FSB Termination: Auto
DRAM Voltage: Auto
NB Voltage: Auto
NB GTL Reference: Auto
SB Voltage: Auto
PCIE Sata voltage: Auto

Load line Calibration: Enabled
CPU spread: disabled
PCIE spread: disabled
CPU clock Skew: Auto
NB clock skew: Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement: Performance mode

Next page: Advanced: CPU Configuration
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
C1E Support: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
CPU TM: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Tech: Disabled
Execute Disable bit: Enabled
Intel Speed Step: Disabled
Intel C-State Tech - Enabled

Thanks again for the help. At this point I'm very frustrated and I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

Ben

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
what are the recommended voltage settings for either RAM sets, usually they're recommended from 1.8 - 2.0, i would try upping this as the Large FFT's test RAM as well.

DRAM Voltage: Auto is what you'll want to change. Whatever the highest setting you can go on that RAM, go with it, and you could also try one up, so if recommended is 1.8 - 1.9, go with 1.9, if that does not work, go for 2.0

Also, what PSU do you have?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Did you start out in small increments and without adding vcore?

You've got an okay mobo for OC'ing so I'll assume there's no hardware issues with it and everything runs okay at stock speed. It looks like you're changing too many BIOS all at once and trying to overclock more than one component at a time. No wonder you have problems!

First, set all your BIOS to default. No need to overclock your RAM. If your mobo treats them as 800, that's okay.

In BIOS, change only the FSB setting 1600. 10 multiplier times 400 = 4 Ghz. That chip should run that on auto voltage. If not, then use 1.30 for vcore.

Don't mess with the RAM, until you know you are stable at 4 Ghz and you have a 1:1 FSB ratio.

Ward86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Both RAMs specify a voltage between 2.0-2.1. I've tried running them at 2.1 but it may have been in combination with a lot of other random things, so I will try to concentrate on that. I don't want to overvolt the RAM, but will run it at 2.2 if you guys think that's advisable. I just got done running Prime95 Large FFT's and achieved 14 hour stability, however I flew on FSX with these settings last night and got a CTD right after I parked the plane. Not sure what that's related to. Also, would it be possible that my graphics card (EVGA superclocked GTX-220) could be causing any problems? Or will that have no bearing during the stress test? Even though I achieved 14 hour Prime95 stability, I'm not pleased with how I did it (only 4.0 Ghz, 1.36 VCore). I will take up your suggestion and start over and start small. Let's say I failed at X settings. If I work up gradually again to X settings, is it possible they could work? Or are you just telling me that because it's just a better way to go about things? Either way I will take up your suggestion and start over and start small, changing only the VCore and perhaps DRAM voltage. I know I should leave all the numerical values in AUTO, but could you tell me where to set the settings as far as the Enable/Disable stuff? I understand that before I even start to overclock, there's some stuff in that category that's sort of common knowledge (well, maybe not for me). I'm talking about stuff like Intel Speedstep (which I understand should be disabled) and things of that nature. And my power supply is a CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700.

I'm going out of town tonight but tomorrow I will start at this stuff again. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg6fz3sGTY

Have you flashed the mobo with the latest BIOS revision?

Don't worry about the RAM. Use one stick and run it at 800 MHz until you solve the overclock stability issue.

Find out if you motherboard has an FSB wall by lowering the multiplier to 8 and go for 2000 FSB. Both my P5Q SE PLUS and P5N-D can run my E8400 at 8X500 (sweet!)

IF you're stable at 7X500 or 8X500 then you know 444 or 460 or 480 should not be an issue. BTW, you'll need a slight bump in your NB voltage starting at 430 - ish.

Ward86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Ok so I just tried again, this time I set a 400FSB x10 multiplier, 2.1 DRAM voltage and 1.30 VCore. But this time I set the DRAM Freq all the way down to 802. Could this be the difference? Because I was able to run Prime95 Blend for 13.5 hours (at which point I stopped it) and just did a flight in FSX without a crash. It doesn't make sense to me that all of my problems were because of DRAM Freq, when the whole time I've been overclocking, I've kept it below its specified speed of 1066, but not at low as 802 until now.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
It makes perfect sense to me because with the RAM issue I've experienced everything (and more) that you did. And we're not the only ones who get problems when you try to overclock and keep your RAM to its rated 1066 speed. I have 1066 RAM and I just run them to 800 5-5-5-15 timings and my E8400 is 100% 24/7 stable at 4 Ghz.

I'm also stable at 8 x 500 with RAM set to 1000. But I give up going 1066.

Ward86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
So after being stable at 4.0 Ghz (I think thanks to disabling CPU TM), I tried to go for 4.3 stable, with a 1.36 VCore. No luck. So I backed down to 420 x 10, same VCore, was able to run Prime95 blend for 16.5 hours, at which point I stopped it. One would think that to be stable, but I got an unexpected CTD in flight simulator. Not sure if it's related to the overclock but I'm guessing it is. My temps are good and I have the DRAM as low as I can get it (844 I think, a little bit higher @430 FSB) so I'm wondering what could be happening. Even if my FSX CTD was a fluke, it still seems like I should be capable of more. HundredIslandsBoy, you mentioned NB voltage. What should I increase that to? Keep in mind I have no NB cooling but a top of the line CPU cooler which probably helps cool other components.

Ward86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I can raise NB voltage by increments of .01. Where do you suggest I start? Again, I don't want to heat up any components too much, I am trying to get at least 4.3 or 4.4 stable clock speeds out of this thing. Right now I have VCore at 1.3625, the maximum voltage Intel specifies as safe. Don't want to go any higher than that, although temps are fine. According to CPU-Z, under load VCore already shoots up to 1.368. I'm hoping to use other settings such as NB Voltage to increase my stable clock speed without increasing VCore.

Ward86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Just ran FSX @ 4 Ghz and got yet another CTD. My 30 day Newegg window is not closed yet, I think I'm gonna do what I should have done in the first place and go the i7 route. Ive had enough of this *** lol. But thanks for the help anyway, and if anyone has any last minute tips for me to salvage my overclock, now is the time lol.