Sign in with
Your question

High temps?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 21, 2010 11:28:58 PM

Hello!

I Just overclocked my i7 920 (D0) to 3.2 GHz (160 * 20), but i'm getting 75-80°C at full load with Prime95!

Is that way too high??? I have it cooled with a dark Knight HSF (I was told that it is quite good).

Could it be the problem that I put a little too much Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU??? I had the impression I put a good ammount, but reading some posts I see that most people spread it to get just the thinnest layer possible... where I got a little bit more than that.

Any other recommendations? My case airflow is really good, and Room temperature is like 25°C, so it shouldnt be a problem

Thanks!

More about : high temps

a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2010 2:10:09 AM

tabur said:
Hello!

I Just overclocked my i7 920 (D0) to 3.2 GHz (160 * 20), but i'm getting 75-80°C at full load with Prime95!

Is that way too high??? Yes. I have it cooled with a dark Knight HSF (I was told that it is quite good).

Could it be the problem that I put a little too much Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU??? Yes, it only takes a little and too much will impede heat transfer. I had the impression I put a good ammount, but reading some posts I see that most people spread it to get just the thinnest layer possible yes, yes, yes... where I got a little bit more than that.

Any other recommendations? My case airflow is really good, and Room temperature is like 25°C, so it shouldnt be a problem

Re-install the HSF with a very thin layer of AS5 following the mfr instructions.

Thanks!

m
l
January 22, 2010 11:20:25 PM

tabur said:
Hello!

Is that way too high??? I have it cooled with a dark Knight HSF (I was told that it is quite good).

Could it be the problem that I put a little too much Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU??? I had the impression I put a good ammount, but reading some posts I see that most people spread it to get just the thinnest layer possible... where I got a little bit more than that.

Thanks!

You have some fundamental error. Only use a little artic silver, but too much will work fine as well. Just leaves a big mess. Here are the reasons-
1. Your heatsink is on wrong. maybe you used the wrong bracket.
2. Your heatsink fan is not running correctly
3. Your case is running hot.
It is pretty easy to eliminate (3). Just measure temeprature in case using speedfan. If that is OK, it is (1) or (2). Also with speedfan, check cpu fan rpm.
If all this is ok, you can either reseat the CPU, or measure the temp on the cooler irght above the cpu. If that is running cool while the CPU is hot. you have it seated wrong.

Some coolers have multiple parts in order to fit many sockets, and instructions can be useless.
m
l
!