Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Burned dvds skipping towards the end

Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2010 6:10:12 PM

I have been backing up dvds for some time now. I generally use dvdfab at setting dvd5 followed by using dvdshrink to make img file then burning at 8x with imgburn and have never had any issues but a few days ago I noticed that my backed up dvds were skipping towars the end of the movies=( I had one do this that I burned a while back then one recently=( but yet I notice that still some of them work fine all the way through. I am using maxwell dvd-r and +r rated at 16x. Could somebody please help me out with this???? Should I lower my write speed to 4x????
a c 415 G Storage
March 11, 2010 6:27:08 PM

What I do is to scan the DVDs to check their raw error rates after I burn them. The problem is that every burner, firmware version and media type interact differently and sometimes poorly, resulting in unreliable burns. Without scanning, there's no way to know just how good the burn was.

You need to use a tool like Nero DiscSpeed to do this, and it will only work if your DVD drive can report raw errors. I use a LiteOn IHAS 424 drive, and reburn if Nero reports less than a "90" quality score. Here's an example of scan for a disc I had to reburn:

By the way, many of the name brands, including Maxell, don't make their own disks but rather buy disc blanks from generic manufacturers. What's worse, they often switch manufacturers, so it's very difficult to know for sure what kind of discs you're getting. The best discs are made by Taiyo Yuden, but they're pretty much only available by mail order.
Score
March 14, 2010 12:56:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Arthurh
Score
!