Sign in with
Your question

74C under load at stock speeds? SOLVED

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2010 1:21:12 AM

I completed my first build using an I5, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P mb, Thermal Take Silent Pro HSF, and Antec 900 case, ambient temperature is about 20C.
I was planning on overclocking to 3.6, but when running prime95 using any type test with all 4 cores I'm getting temps between 73 and 74C.
I did verify cpu fan is running at 100%, I tried running all case fans on high with no change.
Thanks for any ideas.
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2010 3:00:28 AM

I have the same setup. I'm guessing you maybe left the vcore voltage set to auto.
Auto even at stock was over 1.3.
Normal should give you 1.285 , should drop things .

With the stock cooler I was going in to the 80's at 3.3. in prime95. Of course It would never go that high in games/use . I ended up getting the corsair h50, its working excellent. You must have set your ram voltage vdim? My ram OCZ is specd at 1.65. The ud4p started with 1.5 , my setup is flaky until I get in bios and set 1.65 vdim and add some voltage to qpi/vtt. Your results will vary.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 22, 2010 4:05:04 PM

gtbuck said:
I tried running all case fans on high with no change.

How did you stand the noise? With the fans on HIGH, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2010 12:27:13 AM

notty22 said:
I have the same setup. I'm guessing you maybe left the vcore voltage set to auto.
Auto even at stock was over 1.3.
Normal should give you 1.285 , should drop things .

With the stock cooler I was going in to the 80's at 3.3. in prime95. Of course It would never go that high in games/use . I ended up getting the corsair h50, its working excellent. You must have set your ram voltage vdim? My ram OCZ is specd at 1.65. The ud4p started with 1.5 , my setup is flaky until I get in bios and set 1.65 vdim and add some voltage to qpi/vtt. Your results will vary.

I went back and manually set vcore to 1.28, vtt is1.1, pch is 1.05, pll is 1.8, I'm using gskill ram rated for 1.5v and i manually set it for that.

I ran Prime95 small FFT test and temps were around 69-72c on each core.
Is this something to be concerned about or is it normal?
m
l
January 27, 2010 12:27:53 AM

jsc said:
How did you stand the noise? With the fans on HIGH, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

lol, yeah it was pretty loud but I didn't leave it there for long.
m
l
January 27, 2010 8:54:11 PM

Poke in the dark here.. are you sure you've applied the thermal paste correctly? Too thick ain't good!
m
l
January 28, 2010 3:22:55 PM

Well, I started to just let this go, but I guess this will serve as a good reminder for others like me that get in a bit of a hurry.

Yesterday I started thinking that the issue must be the paste or the HS wasn't seated all the way down.
I removed the heat sink, the first thing I noticed was that I had excelent thermal paste coverage, this was actually a bit of a downer because I started thinking the fix wasn't as simple as I hoped.
I started looking a little closer at the bottom of the heat sink when I noticed a clear plastic tab. At that point i remembered when I removed the heat sink from the box I wanted to wait until the last moment to remove the protective cover so I didn't scratch the bottom, but when I got back to actually seating it I had forgotten it was still on there.

I will say though I can't belive that with the plastic on it the cpu didn't get hotter.
Anyway, I'm working on overclocking today and at 1.18V over clocked at 3ghz with turbo boost still on temps didn't break 60C. Shooting for 3.6 now.

Thanks for the help guys.
m
l
January 28, 2010 7:01:32 PM

jsc said:

I have the same problem, I leave all 5 of my case fans on high all the time, and it's definitely like a wind tunnel in there, but you get used to it, and I like to keep my precious parts as cool as possible. The noise can be soothing as well. I have a problem with pushing everything I own to the limit. If it can go faster, let it go faster!! That's my motto.
m
l
!