Sup homies! I'm still a n00b...need the 411 by some l33t playa's

mikey88

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Sorry about the obnoxious title...hey I had to get you in here somehow... I just need your advice on the fifth rig I've built...this is my best one yet! w00t!
I only want to run the componets at stock speeds for now...my question:

Is my stock installation running as quickly as it should? I've included the installed componets and all the applicable information I could gather. I used a easy little program called speccy - check it out here if you want - http://www.speccy.com

I guess, to me, it seems like the cpu/ram/mobo is bottlenecked? should my ram be running faster @ 800mhz? the mobo can handle 800mhz, 1066mhz and even 1333mhz if I overclock...what about the cpu's actual vs. rated vs. stock bus speed?

If this was your rig would you be satisfied or are there a few "standard" tweaks I'm not taking advantage of? Or does everything seem to be maxed out?

I know home construction really well...anyone have any questions in trade?

Thanks so much in advance and glad to be here

mikey88
jammastermike@hotmail.com

* Vista Home Premium 64 sp1
* Phenom II x4 940 - AM3
- bus speed = 200.9 mhz
- rated bus speed = 1808.2 mhz
- stock bus speed = 200 mhz
- L3 cache 6mb
- temp is appx 43 under no load
* Mushkin DDR2 - 8gb installed (4x2gb dimms)
-pc2-6400 (running @ 400mhz)
* Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
- Support for DDR2 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 MHz
* Award Software - version f4 - 4/21/2009
* Evga Gtx275 - DDR3 - 896Mb - 448 Bit
* WD Black 640gb
* Antec 900 w/750psu
* LG DVD, LiteOn BluRay + bunch of fans and lights and stuff and an artic cooler on my cpu

I guess, to me, it seems like the cpu/ram/mobo is bottlenecked? should my ram be running faster @ 800mhz? the mobo can handle 800mhz, 1066mhz and even 1333mhz if I overclock...what about the cpu's actual vs. rated vs. stock bus speed?

You should be able to OC the memory to 1066, but the only way you can do that is to set the voltage and timings manually, then set the speed to 1066?

Most 1066 is actually OCd 800 anyway, but you may not be able to go that route with 8G of memory, but you can attempt it, and see what happens.

You would need to use the maximum DDR2 voltage Muskin allows for those modules, and the timings for their comparable 1066 modules, if they have them which you should be able to get from their website.

My experience with the 940 is she can OC to 3.6G which seems to be a sweet spot for the 940 most attempts going beyond 3.6G resulted in too much heat and instability was a constant, of course that completely depends on the cooling and I was air cooling.

But the 940 runs pretty good right out of the box at 3.0G, and going past 3.6G didn't really yield much return in performance at all in doing it.

I know home construction really well...anyone have any questions in trade?

So what do you do?

By the way mikey88, what was your reasoning by posting the exact same thing in 4 different sections?

This is the overclocking section, so advice here will be leaning toward doing just that.

In the future be more section specific with your posts and loose the homeboy intro. OK

r_manic

Administrator
Hey OP, if you think your question genuinely covers multiple topics (like say, an overclocking question that involves a mobo), you can post the question on multiple sections.

BUT (EMPHASIS ON BUT), only one of your posts should contain the actual question (I'll call this the Prime Post); the other posts should only contain a link to the Prime Post.

The mods (correct me if I'm wrong 4ryan6) previously agreed to allow this to help those who are unsure about where they should post their question. AGAIN I repeat that this shouldn't be used as much as possible, only as a last resort when you cannot genuinely decide what's the most appropriate section for your question or discussion.