Sign in with
Your question

Best for external storage

Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2010 7:59:22 PM

Hello ppl,

Ive just bought a nice case for external HDD. I need advice about the HDD I can use purely for storage & movie watching.
Im a WD man my self. I have no bad exp with those hdd's.
My dilemma is...1 TB, or 1.5 or 2TB......

But, U guys can say anything...please advice from Ure owne exp.

TY V much :hello: 

More about : external storage

March 11, 2010 8:09:52 PM

Hey BalZenMK!

Choosing an External Hard Drive is hard. If it screws up, you're screwed :( 

Western Digital is fine when it comes to External Hard Drives. I recommend Seagate or Fantom Drives, but it's all just preference really.

As for size, get 1.5TB right now. For all the prices that are out there, 1TB = $100, 1.5TB = $105~, and 2.0TB = $190~.

If you're looking for the "sweet spot" for price/storage, go with 1.5TB. Might I make a personal suggestion? :) 

Western Digital Elements 1.5 TB ($120)

I've had mine for about 2 years now and it works like a beaut. I would love to have a USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, but I probably won't be buying one for a few years >_<!

Anything else I can help you with BalZenMK?
March 11, 2010 8:17:14 PM

what about WD green serie?
EADS or EARS?

Im win XP soon to go 7.
Related resources
March 11, 2010 8:36:39 PM

Yeah BalZenMK, SamTHorn is right on one thing. Always have two external hard drives. Have one on site (in-house) and off site (family's house, etc).

Tekzilla, a show from Revision3 did a segment about External Hard Drives and backing up files. You'd really enjoy it.

Here's the video. Scroll to the 22:00 Minute Mark ~

(If you don't know who the hosts are, just know this. Patrick used to have a show on TechTV called the Screen Savers with Leo Laporte (Tech God); he always knows what he's talking about)

As for the Green Series, it's not a big deal with External Hard Drives. They save you about $7/year on your energy bills.

As for EADS vs EARS, go for EARS. EARS are going to be the new Hard Drives for the most part. I believe my friend at Western Digital said they stopped make EADS drives. Some are still around on the market of course.

Thought I'd help BalZenMK. Be sure to select the best answer!
a b G Storage
March 12, 2010 6:45:32 AM

Games and movies are my likes - I store them always with an external drives because I have experienced a crash before and all my movies and games were gone. I just copy movies whenever I like watching them to my fixed hard disk. If you prefer low cost external drives I recommend transcend enclosure and western digital green series, 1Tb or 1.5Tb. If you have the money try Western digital studio, my book or seagate external hdd. In my own opinion 2Tb is too big but it is good for movies - just make sure you have a back up.
March 12, 2010 3:55:32 PM

Necromentia said:
Yeah BalZenMK, SamTHorn is right on one thing. Always have two external hard drives. Have one on site (in-house) and off site (family's house, etc).

Tekzilla, a show from Revision3 did a segment about External Hard Drives and backing up files. You'd really enjoy it.

Here's the video. Scroll to the 22:00 Minute Mark ~

(If you don't know who the hosts are, just know this. Patrick used to have a show on TechTV called the Screen Savers with Leo Laporte (Tech God); he always knows what he's talking about)

Well, I dont want to save 7$ :)  I thought it's slower, & will heat less. Is there any logic in that?

As for the Green Series, it's not a big deal with External Hard Drives. They save you about $7/year on your energy bills.

As for EADS vs EARS, go for EARS. EARS are going to be the new Hard Drives for the most part. I believe my friend at Western Digital said they stopped make EADS drives. Some are still around on the market of course.

Thought I'd help BalZenMK. Be sure to select the best answer!

March 12, 2010 3:58:28 PM

TY 4 Ure input man.
I dont want to save 7$. :)  I thgought...it's slower, it will heat less......less chance to go KA-BOOM!... ;) 

iS THERE ANY LOGIC IN THAT?

By the wy...Ive read that more GB is in HDD the chance 4 that HDD to die on U is bigger....?!
:) 
March 12, 2010 5:19:40 PM

I currently have a WD Green 1TB in an Icy Dock external case connected to my mac via FW400. The drive is extremely quiet, and when i pull it out of the case, its luke warm at best. Between WD and Seagate, I would say their reliability is about the same. Seagate generally has a little bit better performance, but tends to run a little warmer also.

And the 1.5TB is definitely the best bang for your buck right now. Will probably grab a couple soon for my home server build.
!